CHAPEL BOOKS

Chapel Cottage, Llanishen, Chepstow NP16 6QT

Email info@chapelbooks.co.uk
_______________________________________________________________

SUFFOLK

UK Customers please add postage @ 2.00 per book (4.00 maximum)
Overseas customers will be charged Surface or Airmail as requested

[Buckle/Machet document]  Conveyance
This 1803 indenture, a conveyance of property in Redenhall, refers back to a settlement made in 1780 on the then forthcoming marriage of Rev Charles Buckle and Catharine Machet.  It provides much contemporary detail on the family.   Manuscript on 4 large parchment sheets, bears the signatures Charles Buckle, Cath: Buckle and [their daughter] Catherine Buckle.  Nice clean strong condition.   (ref 4701)  22.50 post-free 
Not for export

The Calls of Norfolk & Suffolk, Their Paston Connections & Descendants
Charles S Romanes, priv printed 1920. Copy no 9 of ltd ed of 300. Signed dedication by author. 103pp inc indexes of persons & places. Large (approx 39"x17") multifolding pedigree covering 500 years, 124 ills (many photos) on 40 plates. 4to, bevelled boards, spine faded and torn at top. Scattered foxing to initial 5pp, rest clean. Generally VG. 48.00

The Corbould Genealogy
George C B Poulter, 1935. 4to, 165pp inc index, 26pp of ills/pedigrees, map eps. Contents very clean and fresh. Rear board scored, bottom corners worn. (ref 0954) 25.00

[Seckford] A Tudor Worthy - Thomas Seckford of Woodbridge
A Daly Briscoe, 1979. A5 booklet of 117pp followed by bibliography, subscribers list & index. 20 ills, G. (ref 6240) 3.00

                                    ==========================================================================

The Akenham Burial Case
Ronald Fletcher, 1974. 280pp, 12 ills, all but 1 photos. In 1878 the churchyard burial of unbaptised 2 year old Edward Ramsey sparked off nation-wide uproar. VG in G d/w. (ref 2687) 5.00

The Story of Aldeburgh Church
1951 booklet of 15pp + 8 full-page ills. A little grubby but a decent copy. 1.50 post-free within UK

Records of the Borough of Aldeburgh
Transcribed by Arthur T Winn, 1925. 58pp unindexed. This particular transcription is of the Order Book 1549-1631 and is of particular interest to the local historian. Nice copy, VG, a couple of small nicks towards the foot of the spine. (ref 8017) 16.00

Records of the Borough of Aldeburgh - The Church
Arthur T Winn, 1926. 53pp unindexed. Slight rippling of the cloth at the foot of the front cover o/w VG clean copy. (ref 8016) 16.00

Records of the Borough of Aldeburgh - The Church
Arthur T Winn, 1926. 53pp unindexed. 2 copies in grey paper covers are available, both VG. (refs 8014, 8015) each 8.00 post-free within UK

An Illustrated Description of St Mary's Church, Bury St Edmunds
Nd but early 1950s, 7th ed. Small booklet, 30pp, 6 photographic ills. Grubby card covers. 1.00 UK post-free

The Church of Saint Mary, Bury St Edmunds
1976 small booklet of 12pp + folding church plan + 4 full-page photo ills. Card covers. 0.50 UK post-free

[East Bergholt] Postcards of St Mary's Church
A nice collection of 6 unused photo-postcards, all locally produced. (ref 6938) 4.00 UK post-free

[Glemsford]  Part of the Court Rolls of the Manor of Peverells 1642-1645
In the booklet 'A Short History of Glemsford' we read that "
The Manor of Peverells was a very small manor of only thirty acres.....It adjoined the parish of Cavendish and was probably on the site of the present New Street Farm".  On offer we have what appears to be an original manorial roll, in manuscript on 6 sheets of paper and loosely bound together inside a protective parchment covering sheet.  The leaves measure approx 7"x 10" and consist of a rental charge to be collected during the period 1642-1645.   We haven't read through it all but the second property assessed is in Egremont Street which today is one of Glemsford's main streets.  We also noted properties in Freeman Street, a name which doesn't appear to have survived.  Clearly at one time this document was literally rolled up, but subsequently became flattened by other paperwork.  The result is that the papers, although in quite good condition for their age, are all multifolded and would very much benefit from careful flattening.  The rentals list owners, the properties assessed and the amounts due.  Though just 6pp, there's some excellent civil war period local history for this quite specific part of Suffolk.  (ref 2323) 225.00  post-free  Not for export    NB this item is covered by The Manorial Documents  Rules and the new owner is legally obliged to report their acquisition to the Historical Manuscripts Commission

St Mary At-The-Quay, Ipswich
Undated 4pp pamphlet about this church which has remained unused since wartime bomb-damage. 1.00 UK post-free

[Ipswich] Abstract of Title to 13 acres of Land
This is an 1879 abstract concerning land between Foxhall Road and Rose Hill Road, bought by Alfred Piper from Robert Cade shortly before. Printed in manuscript style, some spotting.  (ref 188/343)  4.00 post-free 
Not for export

The Monumental Inscriptions in the Parish of Saint Matthew, Ipswich, Suffolk.
Compiled and annotated by the Rev Francis Haslewood, AKC, Rector of S Matthew's, Ipswich, privately published 1884 and 'to be had only of the author'.  351pp inc index, folding  plan of churchyard.  A methodical perambulation round the church and churchyard listing all the inscriptions and supplementing some with detail from the parish registers.  Fortunately the index is in alphabetical order so looking for ancestors is no problem.  Original gilt embossed cloth boards, the spine affected by damp & now quite threadbare - also affects the margins of the boards, contents clean apart from first & last couple of leaves which are extensively foxed.  We've seen worse - but we've also seen better.  Fewer than 130 copies were subscribed for, so the print run could have been as few as 200.  Prices on the internet range from 45 up to 125 plus postage on top - our price 30 post-free.  NB cheap modern facsimile reprints are being advertised on the internet in the region of 20.  (ref 3255)  30.00 UK post-free

[Kentford document]  Conveyance of Public House
This 1829 deed records the sale of 'All that freehold messuage or tenement heretofore a farmhouse with the new erected stable chaisehouse and other buildings.....on the South side of the turnpike road now used and occupied as an inn heretofore known by the name or sign of The Bull and now called or known by the name or sign of The Fox and Golden Ball.....'.  At the end of the deed is a schedule of earlier deeds going back to 1808.  Nice clean deed in manuscript on 2 large parchment sheets.  (ref 104/16)  20.00 post-free
  Not for export

Guide to the Church of Holy Trinity, Long Melford
1937 revised ed, blue printed card covers, 16pp + 9 full-page photo-plates + plan. G but staples are rusted. (ref 0000) 1.50 post-free within UK

[Lowestoft document]  Sale Particulars of Cottages and Houses
Printed particulars for the 1876 sale held at the Crown Hotel of:
1.  A couple of cottages at the corner of Infirmary Plain tenanted by Henry Barber and James Crowe.
2.  43 Mariner's Street [George Goff].
3.  6 Factory Lane [Harry Calthorpe].
4.  21-22-23 Chapel Street [Harry Gage, William Lincoln, Samuel Whiting].
5.  23 Duke's Head Street [Edward Bowles].
6.  2 cottages in Bank Court [Susannah Pells, John Read].
7.  85 Tonning Street [Robert Allen].
Some foxing otherwise clean.  (ref 4703)  15.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Martlesham & Bealings document]  Official Copy of Order by Board of Agriculture on Beacon Hill House & Estate
This is an official copy (signed and with embossed tax stamp) of an 1892 Order by the Board of Agriculture scheduling the 204 acre Beacon Hill House estate, tenanted by Mrs Hayward.  Manuscript on parchment, size approx 20"x15", ideal for framing.  (ref 449/1)  10.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Mellis Burgate document]  Lease of Farm
This 1835 lease by Corbyn Morley and his son David [both Gislingham farmers] from Thomas Preston of Norwich is for an intended 8 years at 100 a year.  The farm isn't named but the local historian will be able to place it from the description of 'All that messuage or farmhouse with the outbuildings double cottage and all those several pieces and parcels of land....situate in Mellis Burgate and Thrandiston and adjoining parishes.....containing by estimation eighty four acres.....now in the occupation of James Rodwell Kerry.....'.  Manuscript on 2 large parchment sheets, bears the signatures Thomas Preston, Corben Morley, David Morley.  (ref B294/21)  15.00 post-free  Not for export

[Peasenhall and Sibton document]  Official Copy of Order by Board of Agriculture on School Land and Cottages
This is an official signed copy of an 1893 Order by the Board of Agriculture scheduling 33 acres owned by Egerton Levett Scrivener of Sibton Abbey.  32 of the 33 acres comprised school land occupied by the owner - the schedule lists the various OS ref no's.  The rest of the property comprised two cottages occupied by Minter and Sudbroke and two empty cottages.  Manuscript on parchment, size approx 24"x19", bears the red seal of the Land Loan and Enfranchisement Company.   (ref 449/8)  12.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Polestead] Valuation of Trees at Hill Farm, 1859
This little notebook contains an 8pp manuscript list of the 'standing timber on the estate of [blank] Mills Esq'. A large ornamental 72 foot oak was valued at 9/0/0 and a 55 foot elm 2/15/0. A bit grubby o/w in quite nice condition. (ref 0000)   6.00 post-free 
Not for export

St Edmundsbury and Ipswich Diocesan Year Book for 1947
325pp packed with facts and figures including a 90pp list of churches with the names of the incumbent, the patron, the churchwardens, the population etc. A surprising amount of detail lurks in this small book. G. (ref 2689) 10.00

[Stoke-juxta-Clare document]  Extract from Confirmed Apportionment of the Rent Charge in Lieu of Tithes
Manuscript schedule listing 15 landowners together with a couple of dozen occupiers and the 80-odd plots of land which are named, sized and annotated with state of cultivation.  Looks as though the schedule was drawn up in 1869 and may have been in use for reference purposes for many years as there are numerous alterations in pencil - this lengthy use has resulted in much wear and tear, particularly to the paper covers.  We assume the schedule relates to the whole parish, but that will be for the local historian to determine.  (ref 504/69)  18.00  post-free 
Not for export

The Church of St Mary, Woolpit
Small nd (c1980) booklet of 8pp, paper covers. 0.50 post-free within UK

Early to Rise
Hugh Barrett, 1983 Country Library ed. 169pp paperback, ex-lib with usual stamps, fep missing. The story of a years apprenticeship on a Suffolk farm in the 1930s. (ref 4015) 0.50

Suffolk Parish Registers - Marriages - Vol 3
The Phillimore marriages series, 1916.  Familiar grey cloth boards, 143pp, unindexed as usual.  Vol 3 provides transcripts for the following parishes:
Hoxne               1548-1837
Syleham          1538-1837
Mendham       1678-1837
Metfield           1559-1837
Withersdale   1660-1837
A particularly nice copy, easily VG.  (ref 3030)  30.00

*********++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*********