CHAPEL BOOKS


Email info@chapelbooks.co.uk

________________________________________________________________

STAFFORDSHIRE

UK Customers please add postage @ 2.00 per book (4.00 maximum)
Overseas customers will be charged Surface or Airmail as requested

[Ainsworth document]  Child maintenance agreement
This is the draft copy of a typescript 1937 agreement to be signed by the father of June Ainsworth, daughter of Mary Ainsworth of Foxt near Froghall.  (ref 8401)  12.00 UK post-free  Not for export

[Berresford/Berrisford Court Case Paperwork]  Chapel-en-le-Frith argues with Ipstones
Office copies of settlement/removal documents concerning the not-our-responsibility attitude of the churchwardens and overseers of both these two parishes, which resulted in a hearing at the Derbyshire Sessions in October 1839.  Basically 60+ year old pauper Thomas Berresford (or Berrisford, the correct spelling seems to have been unimportant at the time) and his family were the subject of a removal order by Chapel-en-le-Frith and were conveyed to Ipstones.  Ipstones appealed.  The outcome - you'll have to acquire the papers to find out.  There are two office copies of the examination, each with a copy of the removal order attached.  Also two copies of the court case brief for the appellants (Ipstones) and other office paperwork - quite unusual to have the opportunity to have quite so much ancillary paperwork.  In all there are 20 items ranging from small single scrappy notes to the duplicate briefs, each of which is on 9 large paper sheets.  NB none of this paperwork is pretty - much of the handwriting is hurried, and after so many years in storage the outer papers have become very dirty but a soft rubber will deal with the worst of it.  (ref 315/34)  60.00
post-free  Not for export

[Gould document]  Illegitimate Child Maintenance Agreement
Emily Gould of Dale House Farm, Onecote, gave birth to a child on 11th December 1875.  In this 1876 document both parties agree that in return for weekly child maintenance Emily will not make any other claims on the [named] father.  NB this is a draft copy only and as such the handwriting is very scrappy - and of course it doesn't bear any signatures - however this may well be the only surviving documentary evidence of who the father was.  (ref 7729)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

Hammersley Will
This is the probated copy of the 1779 will of William Hammersley of Shelton.   Mentions wife and children, will proved the following year.  Manuscript on paper, extensively torn but lucky to have survived in any condition.  (ref 143/2)  6.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Hanson document]  Copy will
This is a copy - made in 1845 - of the 1823 will of James Hanson of Alrewas.  The will mentions his widow Mary, Maria Wiggin the illegitimate daughter of Esther Wiggin (nee Scoffin), and 13 nephews and nieces.  Manuscript on 3 large paper sheets with a 4th as the covering sheet.  (ref 6923)  12.50 post-free 
Not for export

Leech Family Documents
A nice collection of copyhold and other documents from the period 1839 to 1876.  3 parchment and 7 paper documents.  (ref 504/70)  38.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Pickford/Stevenson/Winton family papers]  Court Case Papers
The Pickford family of Leek had their financial affairs managed by an old family friend who appears to have 'borrowed' virtually all their savings for his own use.  This came to light when the last remaining Pickford [Harriett] died in May 1893.  A court case ensued and here we have what remains of the paperwork - principally two copies of the 14-page brief.  We couldn't see from the few associated papers what was the result of this 1894 court case but if you descend from one of the Wintons (Georgiana, Mary Anne, Thomas, Robert or Edwin) you might well want to delve further.  The backs of the pages of the brief are filled with notes of evidence given in court.  (ref 79/35)  35.00
post-free  Not for export

[Shaw/Alcock document]  Removal Order
This is an office copy (though with some original signatures) of an 1840 Order for the removal of Sarah and John Shaw, aged 11 and 9 respectively, from Draycott in the Clay to Cheadle.  The inference is that their mother Jane Alcock was unable to care for her children (from a previous marriage).  Her husband Thomas was in Stafford Gaol at the time.  Printed document with manuscript insertions.  (ref 6951)  25.00 
post-free  Not for export

Shemilt Family Papers
A bundle of more than 50 items of paperwork, virtually all of it dated 1905.  Most of it seems to have been generated following the death of John Shemilt.  A mourning card shows he lived at Prestwood and died in November 1904.  Most of the papers are day-to-day legal correspondence, so don't expect any startling revelations.  (ref 163/10)  18.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Smith of Alrewas document] Probated Will
Cordwainer John Smith made his will in 1798.  His death could have been any time from then until 1811 when the will was proved.  Mentions his loving wife Dorothy and his well beloved son John.  The copy will is in manuscript and covers one-and-a-bit sides, the  grant of probate is a printed form with manuscript insertions, both are on paper.  (ref  6935)  12.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Townsend Family] Small bundle of Townsend documents
Includes 4 copy wills (2 Leek, 2 Waterfall), various extracts from parish registers and a 12pp typescript extract of (all?) Townsend wills at Lichfield from 1530-1555. (ref R665/44) 20.00
post-free  Not for export

Document signed by Uttoxeter Surgeon Richard Warner
This is a 1771 affidavit, signed Rd Warner, that a house in Cheadle he'd recently sold was not the subject of any other legal commitment.  Mentions his wife and son.  Manuscript on single sheet of paper approx 8"x13".  (ref 143/3)  8.00 post-free 
Not for export

Paperwork re the Late James Yates of Endon
James Yates died in 1863, leaving much property in Stanley and Bagnall.  His Yates and Glover beneficiaries put the Stanley property up for auction in 1865, and here you have an opportunity to acquire papers concerning the sale as well as papers concerning the paying off of mortgages.  11 items altogether, ranging from small single sheets to multi-page documents.  (ref 736)  22.00 post-free 
Not for export

                                   ==========================================================================

[Alrewas]  Documents to Copyhold Property
This group of documents concerns a 2a 1r 15p plot described in 1925 as a 'half-timbered dwelling house with range of buildings adjoining, together with garden orchard and land.....situated in the main street of the village of Alrewas.....has a long road frontage.....'.  Between them, two very useful abstracts of title drawn up in 1847 and 1925 give us details of copyholders going back to 1795, the principal names being Dugmore (1795-1828), Shemmonds (1828-1847) and Tunley (1847-1925).  Interesting group of 13 paper and parchment documents ranging in dates from 1828 to 1925.  The collection (ref 47/11)  42.50 post-free  
Not for export

[Alrewas]  Documents concerning Salterhouse Meadow
This 2 acre plot, close to Rykneld Street is very closely associated with Broadmore Hay, alternatively known as Cote Hay, and the 3 acre Holm Intake.  It really needs far more local knowledge than we have to identify the exact land involved.   This is a collection of 19 documents on both parchment and paper, covering the years 1820-1921, and for most of that 101 years the lands were very much the concern of successive members of the Fitchard family.  (ref 47/12)  60.00 post-free  
Not for export

[Alrewas]  Documents for Property called Furlong
A series of documents ranging in dates from 1896 to 1933 for a near-6 acre plot of land on the Burton-Lichfield road at the junction of the Alreewas road.  In 1896 the plot was occupied by Arthur Dagley, and an abstract of title dated that year shows that Charles Leedham had purchased the copyhold in 1875.  It was his death 20 years later that prompted the sale of the copyhold.  Joseph Smith became the copyholder until his death in 1919.  Immediately upon being enfranchised (1922) Furlong was put up for sale.  With the documents is a 1933 sale of a 45 yard strip of the land.  8 items in all, mostly on paper.  (ref 47/14)  25.00 post-free  
Not for export

[Alrewas]  Documents concerning Furlong Piece
A collection of mainly parchment documents (mostly copyhold admittances and surrenders) concerning the 4 acre Furlong Piece, identified as being 'bounded on the North by a private carriage way called Furlong Road.....'.  The 6 documents span the period 1813-1921 and two families dominate:  Hanson 1813-1844 and Fitchard 1845-1921.   The collection (ref 47/15)  22.50 post-free 
Not for export

[Alrewas]  Documents concerning Lydiatt's Close
A broken sequence, with an isolated pair of documents dated 1851 and 4 document dated 1915/1916.  A mixture of parchment and paper.  The collection (ref 47/16)  22.50  
Not for export

[Alstonefield document]  Lease for Possession
An 1807 lease of 'all that messuage farm or tenement.....commonly called or known by the name of the Stonefold.....within.....Alstonefield and Warslow.....wherein Henry Bagnald and John Bagnald did formerly inhabit and dwell, and also.....The Meadow the Orr Field, The Field below the House, The Barn Close, The Intake and the Little Croft at the upper end of The Intake.....better known and described by the several names of The Croft, The Meadow, Back of the House, The Barn Field, The Intake the Intake Bottom' [also] several plots of land in Warslow called Brownlow, Brownlow Bottom, Brownlow Bank, Near Brownlows and Lower Shaw Side, and a couple of plots of land in Butterton called The Clowes/The Cloughs, and Rough Field, 'together with all pews seats or sittings of them the said Thomas Bestwick and Uriah Edge.....in the several Churches or Chapels of Warslow, Upper Elkstone and Butterton.....'.  This nominally one-year lease would almost certainly have been followed up immediately by a release marking the purchase of the property by Josiah Gaunt from Thomas Bestwick and Uriah Edge, all of them of the scattered parish of Alstonefield.  Manuscript on large parchment sheet, bears the signatures Thos Bestwick and Uriah Edge.  (ref K280/221)  18.00 post-free
Not for export

[Barton under Needwood document]  Schedule of Deeds
A list, drawn up in 1873, of almost a century's property transactions concerning 'messuages or dwellinghouses gardens and premises situate at Barton under Needwood.....belonging to Mr William Richard Holland of Ashborne [sic].....'.  Nothing at all to pinpoint which properties are involved, but the parties involved might help - Holland, Ironmonger, Rowley.  Manuscript on paper.  (ref 315/31)  8.00
post-free  Not for export

A History of the Manor of Beresford
Rev W Beresford & Samuel B Beresford, 1908. 4to, 106pp followed by index, 11 ills inc Beresford pedigree tracing family from 1087. A few spots here & there but still a very fresh clean copy, F. (ref 2137) 45.00

[Blythmarsh, near Forsbrook, document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Plough Inn
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Beerhouse license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/26)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Blythmarsh, near Forsbrook, document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Black Cock
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Licensed Victualler license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/27)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Boundary, near Cheadle, document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Red Lion
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Beerhouse license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/25)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Bradnop] Plan of Stile House Estate
This is a coloured plan of the land surrounding Stile House Farm which appears to have come up for sale in 1903. The plan would originally have accompanied the printed particulars of the sale, not here present. The plan measures approx 28"x20" and there are some small tears along folds. (ref 72/25) 8.00 UK post-free

[Bradnop & Onecote] Farm Sales Particulars
1913 printed particulars of Wellington Farm, Bradnop, and Willow Meadow Farm and The Nursery Land in Onecote. Occupants were James Deaville, Charles Hampson and William Wheeldon. The sale to be held at the Red Lion in Leek.  (ref S439)  6.00 UK post-free

[Burslem/Newcastle/Penkhull] Sale Particulars of 3 Inns etc
1895 printed particulars of the Crewe Arms at Middleport (& the house next door, 55 Wharfe Street), The Bird in Hand at Newcastle (& the house next door, 4 Hassell Street), The Marquis of Granby & the adjoining slaughter-house 'pleasantly situated' near to Penkhull Church. Shows names of occupiers. (ref S562) Several copies available at 2.50 each UK post-free

[Burslem document]  Draft Copy of Lease of The Crewe Arms
The draft copy of an intended 14-year lease of The Crewe Arms, Wharf Street. the owner being Mary Lees of Southport and the lessor Newcastle brewer Frederick Job Ridgway.  Being only a draft copy there's a fair amount of alteration but this is possibly the only copy to have survived.  Manuscript on 3 large paper sheets.  (ref 79/34)  8.00
post-free  Not for export

[Cellarhead document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Hope & Anchor
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the alehouse license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and what other inns were available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.  Ominously, someone has pencilled on the outside the word 'object'.  2 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/12)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Cheadle document]  Valuation of Lands belonging to Mr B Thacker and Mr George Charlesworth
Formal valuation, showing state of cultivation, acreage etc of 8 plots of land identified as  Birch Croft, Near Bennet's Birch, Middle Bennet's Birch, Far Bennet's Birch, Marl Pit Field, Thistley Field, Horse Pasture and Bourne's Field, in all totalling 28 acres.  Manuscript on paper.  (ref 315/30)  8.00 
post-free  Not for export

[Cheadle documents]  Property Deeds relating to Cottages near the Ashbourne Road
A pair of conveyances , both dated 1882, both concerning the apparent bankrupt mason William Keates.  Manuscript on parchment.  The pair  (ref 315/32)  15.00 
post-free  Not for export

[Cheadle documents]  Deeds to Property on the West Side of Charles Street
A reasonably complete run of parchment deeds beginning in 1819 with the purchase of what was then part of the Town Meadow, on which by 1825 had been built a cottage on a newly formed road called Charles Street.  A pair of 1825 deeds (a lease and release) are missing, but a summary of their contents is contained in an abstract of title drawn up in 1845.  The deeds run through to 1868, and if you need to go further back in time one of the earlier deeds in this nice little group provides brief details of prior transactions stretching back to 1738.  In all there are a dozen parchment deeds plus the abstract of title  on paper, which provide a glimpse of the development of this part of Cheadle.  (ref 315/33)  75.00  
post-free  Not for export

[Cheadle documents]  Papers re 4 and 6 Charles Street
4 and 6 Charles Street came up for sale in 1905.  The pair were bought by Leah Mellor who then sold them on individually, one to Sarah Handy, the other to Annie Charlesworth.  10 items in all, though there is some duplication and other papers are scrappy drafts.  Priced accordingly.  (ref 163/11)  10.00  
post-free  Not for export

                                                                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Checkley & district - the following dozen or so documents were discovered amongst a jumbled accumulation of papers.  There is a fair amount of inter-relationship of properties involved and in the ideal world we would prefer to sell to one buyer in order to keep them together.  However it is most unlikely this will happen and so they are offered individually:-

[Checkley document]  Draft Conveyance of Lands on Hollington Heath
This is the draft copy of an intended 1833 sale of several adjoining plots of land totalling 16 acres.  The plots are not named as such but are clearly in the districts of Waste Hills and Gorsty Hill - however acreages are quoted and from these it might be possible to identify the plots from the Inclosure Map (3a 0r 37p, 4a 1r 14p, 6a 0r 17p, 1a 2r 7p and 1a 1r 36p).  Manuscript on paper, 7 sheets, the outside (as folded) is stained and grubby with age.  We should stress this is the draft copy only - but the possibility exists it is the only copy to have survived the last 180 years.  (ref 127/12)  10.00  post-free 
Not for export

[Checkley documents]  Lease of Land on Hollington Heath
This 1833 deed concerns the 10 acre Winnow Dale, leased by local esquire John Phillips from the Turner family of Yorkshire & London.  The deed bears John Phillips' signature, making this the counterpart copy of the lease.  With the formal deed comes the draft copy, enabling us to see the various additions and deletions made in the process of drawing up the finished product.  Manuscript on paper.  (ref 127/14)  12.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Lower Tean document]  Abstract of Title to Lamaford (formerly Robinson's)
This 1832 abstract provides details of property deeds and documents going back to 1752 when Thomas Phillips acquired 'All those two doles of meadowing.....lying & being in Lammaford Meadow within the Manor or Lordship of Nether Tean in the Parish of Checkley.....'.  The plot is described as being 'bounded on the South by Tean Brook' which may help pinpoint exactly where this roughly 1 acre plot lay.  In the 1760s further property was acquired - the 2.5 acre Townsend Close.  The property was still in the Phillips family when this abstract was drawn up.  Manuscript on 8 large paper sheets with a 9th as the covering sheet.  (ref 127/15)  15.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Lower Tean document]  Abstract of Title to the Bank Estate
This 1832 abstract provides details of property deeds and documents going back to 1713.  Identified in 1767 as 'All that messuage or tenement.....called The Bank situate in Nether Tean.....and also all those closes inclosures pieces & parcels of land.....commonly called The Croft, The Stoney Low and Checkley Field,  The Lamma Fords, The Two Butty Closes, The Cumberhill, New Piece, The Choacklow Field, The Two Townsends and The 4 Tear Leys'.  Collectively know as The Bank Estate, this was owned by the Phillips family throughout the 120 years detialed by the abstract.  Manuscript on 7 large paper sheets with an 8th as the covering sheet.  (ref 127/16)  15.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Nether Tean document]  Abstract of Title to The Green Acre
This 1833 abstract provides brief details of deeds and documents stretching back to 1733, concerning a 6-acre plot of land owned by the Hawley family until 1764, the Fower family to 1797 and the Phillips family thereafter.  Manuscript on 2 large paper sheets.  (ref 127/17)  10.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Checkley/Nether Tean document]  Abstract of Title to The Widow Brooks
The Little Widow Brook was a 2-acre plot of land acquired by William Phillips in 1801, but for 40 years before that it was the concern of the Jackson family and the related Blurtons and Keys.  All this is gleaned from the brief details of just 3 deeds outlined in this 1833 abstract which is in manuscript on a single large paper sheet.  (ref 127/18)  8.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Hollington document]  Agreement re Hollington Quarry
This Agreement. drawn up in 1859, permits the Highway Surveyors of the townships of Upper and Lower Tean to extract sand, gravel and stone for road repairs.  At 60 for the 30-year term of the contract this was surely a bargain.  Manuscript on paper.  (ref 127/20)  10.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Checkley document]  Abstract of Title to John's Field Farm
This 1823 document concerns the 201-acre John's Field Farm.  This grew from an original holding of 168 acres acquired by Henry Walker in 1700 and retained by the Walker family - and the related Nicholls - for a century until acquired by local farmer John Beech in 1807.  The abstract doesn't explain the additional 30-odd acres and the only field names mentioned come from 1700 - Witterham's Meadow, Hicklin's Meadow, John's Field Meadow, Near John's Fields, Further John's Fields, Adams Close, Cow Hay and New Close.  Manuscript on 4 large paper sheets.  (ref 127/21)  12.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Checkley document]  Abstract of Title to Estate at Tean Leys
This 1832 abstract provides details of property deeds going back to 1692.  Plots of land concerned are Far Tean Leys, Middle Tean Leys, Widow Brooks and Cornhill, and throughout the period covered by the abstract the properties were the concern of various members of the Phillips family.  Manuscript on 5 large paper sheets.  (ref 127/22)  12.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Hollington Heath document]  Transfer of Properties
This is a contemporary copy on an 1823 deed concerning the 201-acre John's Fields Farm together with an 89-acre estate comprising The Breckbrook Head, The Barn Field, The Field Below The Barn, The Long Meadow, The Slany, The Lower Meadow, The Blythes Meadow, The Rough Close, The Upper Breckbrook, The Lower Breckbrook, The Three Phillips Leasows, The Lane Head Closes, The Spitchell and six fields called Nixon's Leases - also the 11-acre Riddings, also the 2-acre Lower Spitchells.  Manuscript on 3 large paper sheets.  (ref 127/23)  12.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Hollington Heath document]  Schedule of Title Deeds
This document, signed by William Phillips in 1833, is his receipt for deeds and documents to The Bank Estate, The Tean Leys Estate, The Lamaford, The Widow Brooks and The Green Acre.  In all, brief details of 47 deeds are listed.  Manuscript on paper, heavily foxed in parts but all perfectly legible.  (ref 127/24)  12.00 post-free 
Not for export

                                                             --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Forsbrook document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Roebuck Inn
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Licensed Victualler license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/14)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Forsbrook document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Butchers Arms
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Licensed Victualler license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/28)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Goldenhill]  Sale Particulars of The Lord Nelson Inn
Printed particulars for the 1894 sale of this 'valuable compact full-licensed well accustomed and old established freehold inn buildings and land known as the Lord Nelson situate in High Street, Goldenhill.....'.  Torn along old folds, so we've priced it accordingly.  (ref 302/6)  8.00 UK post-free

[Hanley document]  List of Deeds to the Alma Music Hall
This list was drawn up in 1863 and contains (very) brief details of 20 deeds and documents ranging in dates from 1781 to 1863.  The music hall was situated in Marsh Street.  Manuscript on paper.  (ref 504/74)  10.00  post-free 
Not for export

[Hanley document]  Copyhold Surrender and Admission
This 1801 document records John Lovatt and Johnson Parr's surrender of their joint copyhold on a house occupied by Richard Barker, in favour of John Mare of Stoke-on-Trent.  Manuscript on single parchment sheet.  (ref 504/57)  15.00 post-free  Not for export

[Huntley, near Cheadle, document]  Licensing Inspection Report on New Inn
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and what other inns were available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.  Ominously, someone has pencilled on the outside the word 'object'.  3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener, grubby as folded.    (ref 721/11)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Kingsley document]  Abstract of Title to The Swan Inn
This 1887 abstract gives details of deeds and documents going back just 13 years, yet The Swan was the subject of much legal documentation.  In 1874 it was described as being 'All that messuage or tenement.....and then used as a Beerhouse and known by the name or sign of the Swan Inn.....And also all that Joiners and Wheelwrights shop (formerly a stable and workshop) situate near to the said Swan Inn.....'   Manuscript on 16 large paper sheets.  The paper is damp-affected and not in particularly good condition, so we've priced it accordingly.  (ref 214/11)  8.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Kingsley document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Swan Inn
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Beerhouse license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   Ominously, someone has pencilled the word 'object' on the outside of the report.  3 large paper sheets (a bit dogeared) held together with the original brass paper fastener, grubby as folded.    (ref 721/23)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Kingsley  document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Bulls Head
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Beerhouse license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   Ominously, someone has pencilled the word 'object' on the outside of the report.  3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/15)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Kingsley Holt document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Blacksmiths Arms
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Licensed Victualler license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   Ominously, someone has pencilled the word 'object' on the outside of the report.  3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/16)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Kingsley Holt document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Cock Inn
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Licensed Victualler license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   Ominously, someone has pencilled the word 'object' on the outside of the report.  3 large paper sheets, 2 still held together with the original brass paper fastener, the 3rd page torn away and with a piece missing - priced accordingly.    (ref 721/24)  10.00 post-free  Not for export

[Leek]  Sale Particulars of Building Land
Printed particulars for the 1889 sale held at The Swan Hotel, of 71 lots of building land in Gladstone Street, Strangman Street and Westwood Road, also the as-yet unmade North Street and North Avenue.  Only the barest detail is given - plot numbers, length of street frontage and area in square yards - but the two coloured multifolding plans show the layout of where all the plots were.  Evidently taken to the sale as there's much ink and pencil notes.  Front and back (as folded) a bit grubby, the rest clean.  An important document concerning the early development of this part of Leek.  (ref 55/29)  17.50 UK post-free

[Leek]  Draft Copy of Abstract of Title to 3 Plots of Land near Bridge End
This is the draft copy of an abstract drawn up in 1872.  It gives us a 22 year list of persons involved in 'all those 3 several plots pieces or parcels of land lying contiguous to the North Staffs Railway' amounting to about an acre and a half, bought by silk manufacturer Philp Wamsley from the NSRCo in 1850.  Within 10 years he was bankrupt and by 1872 had 'emigrated' to America, his creditors being awarded the property which were sold by them to Thomas & Elizabeth Bowers and Thomas & Margaret Jewsbury.  Manuscript on 4 large paper sheets.  (ref 214/78)  6.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Leek document]  Abstract of Title to Two Plots of Land
This abstract  concerns plots of land known as Scarroway and Browhill.  There's no indication as to exactly where these plots were, nor is there any indication of their acreages, but the abstract provides much historical detail on members of the Badnall family from 1806 when William Badnall willed them to his brother Richard.  The properties remained with the Badnall family at least until 1873, the date of this abstract.  Manuscript on 21 large paper sheets with a 22nd as the covering sheet.  (ref 6676)  20.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Leek document]  Conveyance of Land in Picton Street & Cruso Street
This 1893 deed records the sale of a plot of land at the junction of Picton Street with Cruso Street.  The vendor was Mary Ann Wemyss (of London) and the purchaser was the local builder George Ratcliffe.  The deed incorporates a useful plan showing the location of the plot.  Manuscript on 2 large parchment sheets, bears signatures of both parties.  (ref 6619)  12.00  post-free 
Not for export

[Leekfrith, Bradnop, Ipstones]  Farm Sale Particulars & Plans
Printed particulars for the 1897 sale of:-
Leekfrith - the 31 acre Hillswood End Farm (tenanted by Joseph Moss).
Leekfrith - the 149 acre North Hillswood Farm (Thomas Hine).
Bradnop - the 53 acre Hare House Farm (Andrew Morton/Benjamin Barnett).
Ipstones - the 34 acre Above Church Farm (John Henry Dean).
The particulars are accompanied by 3 large coloured multifolding site plans, the larger one rather torn along old folds but the others (that of Hare House Farm and Above Church Farm) are unaffected.  (ref 55/20)  15.00 UK post-free

Another Copy - and a better one with no tears to the large folding plan.  Moreover this copy was used to record the bidding - the results being:-
Hillswood End Farm was sold to Fernyhough
North Hillswood and Hare House farms were unsold
Above Church Farm was sold to Smith
(ref 55/21)  20.00 UK post-free

A Sentimental Journey in and about the Ancient and Loyal City of Lichfield
Alfred D Parker, 1925.  4to, 180pp inc index, teg, rest untrimmed.   Spine sunned, a few small splash-marks on back board, some spotting inside though mostly confined to 1st & last few leaves, G.  (ref 2775)  20.00

[Lichfield poster]  Sale Poster for Walled-In Garden and Greenhouses in Gaia Lane
Large [approx 20"x24"] printed poster announcing the sale to be held at the George Hotel in 1907 consequent upon the death of Rev Canon Lonsdale who for 'many years past' must have lovingly tended his 1362 sq yd plot, and who was probably turning in his grave at his beloved walled garden being advertised as a 'capital building site'.  Wonder if its still there?  Inevitably there's some offsetting after having been folded for so long, and there's an inch-or-so tear where old folds cross.   Would look good in a frame.  (ref 3717)  17.50 UK post-free

[Newcastle Under Lyme document]  Abstract of Title to the Fox and Goose Inn, Lower Street
This abstract, drawn up in 1845, records deeds and documents going back to 1799 when the inn was put up for auction by the Mayor and Burgesses.  It was bought by Thomas Downs and remained in the Downs family until 1826 when it was acquired by James Greaves.  He was declared bankrupt in 1841, and this abstract was drawn up as a prelude to a sale of the inn for the benefit of his creditors.  The abstract is in manuscript on 11 large paper sheets with a 12th as the covering sheet which has served well in keeping the rest nice and clean.  (ref 504/66)  15.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Newcastle Under Lyme document]  Grant of Pew in Church
This 1779 deed records the sale of a pew in the South Gallery by members of the Lovatt family of Chirk, Denbighshire, to Thomas Kinnersley for 100.  Manuscript on large parchment sheet (approx 29"x20"), multifolded.  (ref 504/67)  25.00  post-free 
Not for export
 

[Newcastle Under Lyme document]  Grant of Pew in Church
This 1740 deed records the sale of a pew in the West Gallery by John Bourne to John Leech for 3/10/-.  Manuscript on single parchment sheet, bears the bold signature Jno Bourne.  (ref 504/68)  25.00  post-free 
Not for export
 
[Onecote - see Bradnop]

[Penford document]  Feoffment of House
This 1820 document records the transfer of a house and land from Philip Newham to Sarah Newham.  The property - a newly built house on a 64 square yard plot of ground - is described as 'being part of a certain garden spot.....commonly called or know by the name of Little Lane.....bounded on the West by the turnpike road leading from Wetley Rocks to Pean.....'.  Manuscript on paper, a few minor edge tears along old folds, bears the mark of Philip Newham (though the mark is witnessed by a Ralph Newham), the paper bears an 1809 watermark.  (ref 5758)  12.00
  post-free  Not for export

The History of Penn
Prebendary E Hartill, 1950. Small 8vo, just 32pp, 5 plates inc one from a drawing of the church in the early 19th century. This is a church history rather than a village history. G. (ref 8283) 8.00 UK post-free

[Rowley Regis document]  Darby Family Deeds
A lease and release dated 1778 and a similar pair dated 1787, all of them involving Thomas Darby of Rowley Regis.  The property is described as 'All those two closes pieces or parcels of land.....called Micklows or Mickleys and all that messuage or tenement with the barn buildings gardens croft land.....and also all those meadows called by the names of the Big Meadow and Little Meadow and also part of the croft behind the house.....and containing.....six acres or thereabouts.....'.  Thomas bought the property from his brother Joseph in 1778.  All four deeds are on parchment.  (ref 479/5)  30.00 post-free  Not for export

Stafford in Olden Times
J L Cherry, 1991 ltd ed facsimile rep of 1890. 152pp, several ills. The 1890 ed was itself a reprint of a series of articles which originally featured in the Staffordshire Advertiser. VG. (ref 2553) 10.00

[Stafford]  Conveyance of House etc in Queensgate Street
This indenture records the 1678 sale by William Feake to Michael Moseley of 'All that messuage burgage or tenement.....now in the holding of the said Michael Moseley.....' for 60.  Manuscript on single strong parchment sheet, bears signature Will Feake.   (ref 324/14)  35.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Stanley document]  Plan of Property.....Allotted by the Horton [Inclosure] Award
In 1865 certain property in Stanley came up for sale (apparently on the death of  a Mr Yates).  A plan used in conjunction with the sale was utilised by the surveyor to show how much of that property (6 or 7 acres out of 31) had been allotted by the Inclosure Commissioners.  The top r/h corner of the plan is missing and there are small parts missing along old folds - but this is perhaps unique.  (ref 3419)  10.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Stanley document]  Plan of Property.....Allotted by the Horton [Inclosure] Award
In 1865 certain property came up for sale (apparently on the death of a Mr Yates) and a plan used in the sale was re-used by the surveyor to show how much of the property (6 or 7 acres out of 31) had been allotted by the Inclosure Commissioners.  The top corner of the plan is missing and there are small parts missing along old folds - it may well be unique, though.  (ref 3419)  10.00
post-free  Not for export

Researches into the History of the Parish and Parish Church of Stone, Staffordshire
W H Bowers and J W Clough, 1929.  28+319pp, all 38 plates intact with tissue-guards, prelims include list of just 264 subscribers and 2 indexes.  Super local history with the family historian very much in mind.  The relatively low print run has resulted in this being a scarce-ish book to find, particularly in this clean condition - indeed the only fault we feel the need to comment on is the dull gilt lettering on the spine and front board.  (ref 550/46)  75.00 UK post-free

[Stone]  Sale Particulars for The Mount and Mount Row
These 1886 printed particulars contain a coloured folding plan showing the 14 house comprising Mount Row on Mount Road;  The Mount was a pair of semis reached by a driveway from Mount Road.  Nice clean condition.  (ref 55/39)  12.00 UK post-free

[Stone]  Sale Particulars of Farm near Blyth Bridge
P
rinted particulars for the 1902 sale of this un-named 13 acre farm 'situate at the junction of Grindley Lane with the road leading from Normacot and Longton, about 1 miles from Blyth Bridge station.....'.  Accompanying the particulars is a large multifolding coloured plan.  The outside (as folded) is grubby but the rest clean enough.  (ref 302/2)  15.00 UK post-free

St Thomas's Priory or The Story of St Austin's, Stafford
Joseph Gillow, nd but 1894.  Small 8vo, 175pp inc index, 3 plates inc interior photo, appendix A is an 11pp pedigree of Fowler commencing with Sir Richard   Fowler of Foxley (Bucks) who accompanied Richard the Lionheart to the Holy Land in 1190 and maintained at his own expense a body of English bowman, all his own tenants, to serve in the Holy Wars.  The book provides much detail on the Catholics in Staffordshire and the often harsh way they were treated in the early days.  Teg, rest untrimmed, some foxing here & there, nicely rebacked with maroon calf, gilt lettering, a decent copy of this scarce title.  (ref 2383)  30.00

[Tamworth]  Contract for rebuilding Bole Bridge
This is a contract awarded in 1876 by the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough of Tamworth to the Nottingham company of ironfounders engineers and boilermakers  Goddard and Massey.  The need to widen the bridge led to a decision to rebuild it - Goddard and Massey won the ironwork contract.  With the contract comes a bond, signed by both Frederick Goddard and Edward Massey.  The contact is just that - there are no attached plans, drawings or anything to illustrate what was involved.  Both documents are in manuscript on paper, the contract bears the borough seal and the mayor's signature.  (refs 5871 & 5882)  12.50 post-free 
Not for export

[Tamworth]  Approval to seek Loan for Water Supply
This 1892 approval by the Local Government Board gives the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough of Tamworth the go-ahead to borrow 133 'for works of water supply'.  There's no indication as whether this was to supply the whole of the borough or just a part, nor any indication asd to how or where the water would be obtained.  Paper, rather grubby and dogeared.  (ref 5183)  4.50 post-free   
Not for export

Tamworth Remembered
Sketches by Mary Edwards, Tamworth Civic Society, nd but the (full-page) inscription inside front cover is dated 1989. Oblong A4, blue card covers, 20 b&w sketches highly suitable for framing. G. (ref 7231) 4.50

[Tamworth] Approval of Loan for Water Supply
This 1892 approval bears the seal of the Local Government Board as their agreement to lend the Borough of Tamworth 133 for up to 28 years. (ref 133) 3.00 UK post-free

[Tamworth documents]  Paperwork Concerning Proposals to Extend the Borough Boundaries
By the late 1880s Tamworth had outgrown the limits of the ancient municipal Borough and the 1887 Local Government Boundaries Act was the opportunity to petition the Boundary Commissioners.  This heavy bundle of papers includes many drafts and re-drafts, nevertheless there's much contemporary detail to be gleaned from them.  The papers include a few newspapers, a printed poster issued by 'a Tamworth ratepayer' setting out 14 reasons why Tamworth should not be made a Warwickshire town (this is in poor condition and quite fragile), a large printed poster detailing names and addresses of the 25 guardians of the poor in the 20-odd parishes comprising Tamworth Union, and a useful map showing the various townships - this is grubby and torn where old folds cross.  In all there are 30 items large and small.  All are quite grubby so prepare to get your hands dirty.  The bundle as wrapped is about 4" thick.  (ref 163/12)  50.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Tamworth documents]  Papers re Old Swan Inn, Bolebridge Street
An 1883 lease for 21 years and an 1895 underlease, together with associated paperwork - 4 items in all.  (ref 163/40)  25.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Tean, near Checkley,  document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Old Cross Keys
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Beerhouse license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   Ominously, someone has pencilled the word 'object' on the outside of the report.  3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/29)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Tean, near Checkley,  document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Gardeners Arms
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Beerhouse license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   Ominously, someone has pencilled the word 'object' on the outside of the report.  3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/30)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Tean, near Checkley,  document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Blacksmiths Arms
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Licensed Victualler license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener, the outside (as folded) is a little grubby.    (ref 721/31)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Tenford, near Cheadle, document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Ship Inn
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Beerhouse license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/19)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Tenford, near Cheadle, document]  Licensing Inspection Report on the Anchor Inn
This is a 1907 report from which a decision would be made on whether to renew the Beerhouse license.  The questionnaire is in roneo-style manuscript [ie it was reproduced or duplicated on a machine from an original manuscript draft], and asks such questions as the name of the licensee, conditions for people staying overnight, the general state of the building, and whether there were any other inns available nearby for the travelling public.  The replies are in manuscript, but be warned they are very short and to the point.   Ominously, someone has pencilled the word 'object' on the outside of the report.  3 large paper sheets held together with the original brass paper fastener.    (ref 721/22)  12.50 post-free  Not for export

[Tettenhall Wood documents]  Deeds to Ivy House, 10 Mount Road
A 1903 conveyance (Barker to Rhodes) and a 1929 mortgage (Jones), the former in manuscript on parchment, the latter typescript on paper.  The pair (refs 4266, 4374)  10.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Tunstall] Closing Order on House
This 1914 Order was imposed on 22 High Street as it had become unfit for human habitation. Grubby and a bit frayed. (ref 172) 3.00 post-free 
Not for export

Memories of Walsall
Alton Douglas (and signed by him), 1990. A4 format in plum photo card covers, 100pp of photos, newspaper articles etc. Some mild creasing of front cover, G. (ref 8143) 5.00

[Wetley Rocks and Cheddleton]  Sale Poster - Farm, Houses, Shops, Cottages
1858 poster, printed by Nall & Son of Leek, for:-
Mount Pleasant Farm, near Wetley Rocks, tenanted by Jesse Hope.
An adjoining cottage tenanted by Isaac Shenton.
A pair of houses in Cheddleton (Richard Turner & John Stoddard).
4 cottages in Cheddleton (Enoch Craddock, George Brown, Samuel Simpson, Thomas Willey).
House & butchers shop Wetley Rocks (Isaac Wood).
2 nearby cottages (Zachariah & Edward Corden).
2 cottages near The Plough Inn (William Shenton & James Gibson).
2 other cottages with shoemakers shop near The Plough Inn (Thomas Bailey & Joseph James).
A nearby cottage (Joseph Smith).
2 nearby cottages (unoccupied but formerly Catherine Poyser).
3 cottages under the Rocks (lately Phoebe Goldstraw, Daniel Goldstraw & George Pickford).
Some mild offsetting due to long-term folding, old wear-and-tear hole along one of the folds, but still highly suitable for framing.  (ref 55/30)  17.50 UK post-free

[Wolstanton]  Lease of Cooks Croft
This 1721 lease of Cooks Croft is to Joseph and Sarah Mountford.  They paid 28 for the 99 year lease, and the annual rent payable was two hens a year, payable every 25th December.  Being the lessors, there was no need for the Mountfords to sign the document, so the only signatures are of the lessees John and Thomas Bowyer.   Manuscript on single large parchment sheet.  (ref 324/12)  18.00 post-free  
Not for export

[Wolverhampton Church] The Churchwarden, January 1911
Monthly journal in paper covers (detached). This particular issue contains a page-and-a-half article on the recently built St Chad's church. (ref 56/18) 6.00
UK post-free

[Wordsley Plan]  Plan of Property at Wordsley to be sold by auction June 19th 1893
Large multifolding hand-coloured plan on waxed linen, now rather stained and foxed with age.  Shows outline of a small block of properties on Bells Mill Lane somewhere between Wordsley and Bells Mill.  Scaled at half a chain to the inch, size of plan approx 28"x20".  (ref 81/82)  10.00 post-free.  
Not for export

Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses - Shropshire & Staffordshire
Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1986.   Pp191-224 in pictorial card covers, descriptions of 118 Shropshire and 109 Staffordshire buildings, many of which are ill'd (inc 59 photos).  VG copy (ref 1899)   5.00 UK post-free

A Topographical History of Staffordshire:   Including its Agriculture, Mines and Manufactures, Memoirs of Eminent Natives, Statistical Tables, and Every Species of Information Connected with the Local History of the County            
William Pitt, 1817.  Large thick 8vo, 2 parts in 1, a total of 789pp followed by separate indexes for both parts.  Ex-private library with at least 3 shelf marks on feps (no labels, though), title-page and blank fep mounted on linen.   Half calf, gilt lettering on spine, some wear to corners, odd scrape (obliteration of shelf-mark, perhaps?) towards foot of spine.  Untrimmed copy with nice wide margins, no foxing to speak of, 2 leaves (pp181/182 & 179/180) out of sequence.   (ref 6363)  225.00 post-free