CHAPEL BOOKS

Chapel Cottage, Llanishen, Chepstow NP16 6QT

Email info@chapelbooks.co.uk
_______________________________________________________

MONTGOMERYSHIRE

UK Customers please add postage @ 2.00 per book (4.00 maximum)
Overseas customers will be charged Surface or Airmail as requested

 

[Aberhafesp and Llanllwchaiarn document]  Scheduling of Lands by the Land Commissioners
Official copy of an 1883 order scheduling 2866 acres owned by Edward Bernard Proctor Esq.  The Aberhafesp Estate consisted of farms, cottages and other lands, each one identified by name, acreage and tenant.  In all some thirty-odd tenants are named, making this a particularly useful family/local history item for parishes for which we've never seen any other documents.  Manuscript on single large parchment sheet, bears the embossed seal of the Land Commissioners.  (ref 438/4)  20.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Caereinon Uchcoed document]  Copy of Abstract from the Caereinon Uchcoed Inclosure Award
This copy abstract, undated but made c1870, concerns several blocks (totalling 70-odd acres) of former common land fenced off at the time of enclosure.   Manuscript on 4 large paper sheets accompanied by 3 smaller hand-coloured plans on waxed linen showing the blocks of land concerned.  We failed to pinpoint exactly where all this relates to, but the area is bounded by the townships of Crane, Pentyrch, Cenewill and Cefn Llys Issa.  (ref 93/14)  20.00

[Guilsfield document]  Mortgage of The Wern
This parchment deed dated 1894 records a house and five acres of land collectively known as The Wern being put up as additional security for a 3700 loan by Llandrinio farmer John Owen Davies and his wife Mary Foulkes Davies.  Single large parchment sheet, bears the signatures of the two mortgagees.  (ref 6767)  12.00 post free 
Not for export

Llandysilio Tithe Commutation - Provisional Agreement
This document was drawn up in anticipation of a meeting at The Golden Lion in 1837 at which the owners of at least two-thirds of the tenantable land were due to sign it.  This was either destined to become a spare or unused copy, or perhaps something happened to change events - the County Archivist would know.  Manuscript on parchment with appropriate gaps left for details to be filled in, and of course there are no signatures.  (ref 6939)  18.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Llanfair Caereinion] Lease of Property at Pennarth
This 1836 lease, printed on parchment, is for 20 acres within the Manor of Caereinion Iscoed as shown on a hand-coloured plan. John Evans leased the property for 2 lives [him aged about 46; his son Thomas aged about 8]. The lease was granted by Viscount Clive and bears his signature as lessor. (ref 7417) 25.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Llangadfan & Pool document]  Scheduling of Powis Castle and other Lands by the Board of Agriculture
Official copy of an 1897 Order concerning 1565 acres owned by the Earl of Powis.  The schedule breaks the lands into 3 blocks:
Powis Castle and Grounds, 5 acres in the parish of Pool.
Coed-y-dinas and other lands, 600 acres in the parish of Pool.
The 960 acre Maesllemyston Farm tenanted by John Morris, in the parish of Llangadfan.
Manuscript on single parchment sheet, size approx 21"x13" so ideal for framing.   (ref 424/3)  15.00
post-free  Not for export

[Llansaintfraidd]  Conveyance of Ty Bryth Farm
This 1780 conveyance is accompanied by a lease-for-possession.  Both documents concern 'All that Messuage tenement farm lands and premises.....commonly called or known by the name of Tybryth.....now or late in the possession or occupation of David Lewis.....and also two kneelings in the Parish Church.....'.  The conveyance provides very useful detail of 40 years of the Maurice and Owen families who became related when Tybryth became part of a settlement on the marriage of Price Maurice and Ann Owen.   The conveyance bears the signatures John Hooke Campbell, Joseph Adams, Eliz: Adams, Edwd Maurice, Pryce Maurice & H A Corbet - all of whom were related.  This pair of parchment deeds (ref 324/19)  24.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Machynlleth]  Small Collection of Postcards
5 sepia cards by B T W Dennis & Sons, all unused, judging from the old cars in one view perhaps 1920s - not a single TV aerial to be seen.  Views are of:
Maengwyn Street - with trees growing in the road, view towards clock tower.
Castlereagh Clock Tower & Penrallt Street
War Memorial & Hospital Cottages
Old Parliament House (Owain Glendwr)
Old Mayor's House
The group (ref 4393)  10.00 post-free within UK

[Montgomery during the Civil War]  Cromwelliana 1997
Annual journal of the Cromwell Association.  84pp booklet in card covers.  Of especial interest is the 10pp article on Montgomery in the 1640s, particularly the Battle of Montgomery and the capture of the castle.  Mild crease in front cover, crease down the back cover, contents clean though.  (ref 110/69)  3.50 post-free within UK

[Welshpool document]  Scheduling of the Powis Castle Estate under the Land Improvement Act
Official copy of an 1896 order by the Board of Agriculture scheduling the 1097 acre Powis Castle Estate.  The schedule list several tenant farmers - David Richards of the Oak Hotel and Cennant Farm, David & Richard Davies of Moat Farm, John Jones of Mount Farm, Edward Green of Moors Farm and Thomas Evans of Cloddia Farm.   Other tenants were Thomas Mallinson and Thomas Bullock.  Manuscript on large parchment sheet approx 25"x19".  (ref 438/1)  16.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Welshpool, Castle Caereinion, Llandyssil and Llanmerewig document]  Scheduling of Llanerchydol Demesne Land
Official copy of an 1880 Order by the Inclosure Commissioners scheduling 1618 acres owned by Margaret Anne Johnson of Llanerchydol.  The lands are broken down mostly into farms, but also is listed Waterloo lime kilns (Landyssil), Abermule Mill (Llandyssil), the Abermule Inn  (Llanmerewig) as well as several cottages - the occupiers of all these properties are shown.  Quite a useful item for both family and local historians, in manuscript on large parchment sheet.  Authenticity confirmed by the signatures of two of the Inclosure Commissioners and the Commission's embossed seal.   (ref 438/2)  18.00 post-free 
Not for export

Montgomeryshire Pleadings in the Court of Chancery 1558-1714
J W Davies, 1991.  4to, 182pp inc 4 indexes covering over 50pp.   Details of pleadings at the Court of Chancery in London, the records being held at PRO.  Most of the disputes were over money.  Each of the entries includes the PRO ref to enable further research to be done.  F.  (ref 2808)  12.50