CHAPEL BOOKS

Email info@chapelbooks.co.uk

_______________________________________________________

GLOUCESTERSHIRE

UK Customers please add postage @ 2.00 per book (4.00 maximum)
Overseas customers will be charged Surface or Airmail as requested

The Bankes Papers - An Exhibition of Documents selected from the official papers of Sir John Bankes found at Lydney Park in 1949
Gloucestershire County Council 8pp pamphlet announcing the exhibition to be held at the Shire Hall, Gloucester in July 1950, and briefly describing the exhibits.   Sir John Bankes was Attorney General to Charles 1 from 1634-1640.  The exhibition itself was arranged by the Gloucester Record Office.  (ref 252/106)  1.50 post-free within UK

[Brown document]  Will of Elizabeth Brown of Tuffley
This is the probated copy of the will of Elizabeth wife of Alfred Brown.  She died in 1896 and her will was proved the same year.  The will is in manuscript on parchment and the grant of probate is a printed form on parchment with manuscript insertions.  (ref 3358)  12.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Buss family papers]  Official Extracts from Clifton Parish Registers
Certificates of  register entries of the marriage of John & Elizabeth Buss, the baptisms of three of their children, the marriage of John and Ann Buss and the baptism of their daughter.  Six printed forms with manuscript insertions, all drawn up in 1855 but concerning events which took place between 1770 and 1798.  The six items (ref 4063)  12.50 post-free

[Stannton document]  Lease of House and Land at Swindon
A precious survival is this 1642 lease of Whithornes together with various plots of land called Pease Furlong, Crowes Nest, Pythedge, Cornmead, Bushey Leasow, The Old Leys, Staplyn, Little Marth, and Payle Meadow,   Very much a Stannton deed as the principal parties were Edward of Swindon, Luke of Matherne and Elianor of of Swindon.  There's also mention of William and Mary who were Edward's siblings.  Elianor was their mother, who leased the house and land for three score years at a peppercorn rent. Manuscript on single parchment sheet, some foxing and staining but nothing to worry about given the age of the parchment which has stood the test of time very well.  At the foot is written 'Elnor Stanton her mark' but there is no mark - we assume she made it on the piece of parchment which once held the wax seal, but this is in poor condition and no mark can be discerned.  Multifolded and could really do with being (carefully) stored flat.  (ref 7736)  40.00
post-free.  Not for export

[Wood documents]  Deeds to Copyhold Land in Bounces Lane, Cheltenham
Two 1834 parchment documents relating to 'All that strip piece or parcel of land or ground situate lying and being in a certain common field called Coltham Field.....'.  The documents relate how James Wood had taken over the copyhold in 1793 following the death of his father Richard.  In fact the Wood family connection goes back to at least 1754 as shown in an abstract of title drawn up in 1834.  Altogether a useful Wood family group.  The 3 document (ref 252/124)  28.00 post-free
Not for export

                          ===============================================================================

Bedminster - see the Somerset page

History & Guide - St Mary the Virgin, Berkeley
9th impression (26,000 copies) of the 1956 1st ed, this copy appears to have been produced in the early 1970s? 8pp church pamphlet containing 3 photos, pale blue card covers. Some spotting inside. (ref 8267) 1.00 post-free within UK

A Short Guide to St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol
W N Madan, 1911. According to Elizabeth I 'the fairest, goodliest and most famous parish church in England.' 31pp booklet consisting of 16pp of text, 12 photo ills and ground plan. Card covers, contents clean. Bottom corner dogeared.  1.50 post-free within UK

A Bristol Miscellany
Bristol Record Society vol 37, 1985.  Tall 8vo in as-published white cloth boards with black lettering, 218pp inc index.  The miscellany comprises:
Two Tudor Visits to Bristol [14pp]
A Bristol Glassworks c1730 [6pp]
Bishop Secker's Diocese Book [50pp] - some useful detail on dissenters
A Note on the Dorset Parishes in Bishop Secker's Diocese Book [8pp]
Calendar of Correspondence from William Miles to John Tharp 1770-1789 [44pp]
Records of the Bristol Local Board of Health 1851-1872 [77pp]
VG.  (ref 2232)  12.00
Another VG copy (ref 3784)  12.00

Some Manorial Accounts of Saint Augustine's Abbey, Bristol
Bristol Record Society vol 22, 1960.  Large 8vo, pale blue paper covered boards, linen spine, 221pp inc 2 indexes.  Subtitled 'The computa of the manors for 1491-2 and 1496-7 and other documents of the 15th and 16th centuries', these are detailed accounts of certain manors and rectories - The Welsh Estates, Rowberrow, Pawlett, Portbury, Abbotsleigh, Horfield, Fifehead Magdalen, Cromhall, Arlingham, Almondsbury, Berkeley, Blackswarth and Ashleworth.  The 'Other Manorial Documents' concern Almondesbury, Asshelworth, Berkeley, Blakesworth, Cromehale, Erlyngham, Fyfehide, Horefeld, Lygh, Portbury, Poulet, Rouburgh and Wallia.  Though the accompanying text is in English, all the documents are transcribed in the original Latin.  Ex-record office library, unobtrusive stamp in lower corner of title-page, ink ref no at head of spine.  Covers stained and a bit grubby, contents nice and clean, G.  (ref 252/194)  12.00

The Pre-Reformation Records of All Saints, Bristol:  Part 1
Bristol Record Society vol 46, 1995.  Usual format, 150pp inc index.   Details of gifts made to the church, inventories of goods and churchwarden's expenses.  Lots and lots of names in here for the family historian.  VG copy, nice and clean.   (ref 3095)  14.00

Calendar of the Bristol Apprentice Book 1532-1565      Part 3, 1552-1565
Bristol Record Society vol 43, 1992.  Usual format, 155pp inc indexes of persons and places.  The book comprises a long list of over 1600 apprentices, their fathers, trades and masters.  These young men came into Bristol from quite a wide catchment area, mostly Gloucestershire and Somerset but we noted several from Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, and some from as far away as Cheshire and Yorkshire to learn their trades.  Nice clean copy, VG.  (ref 2267)  16.00

The Port of Bristol 1848-1884
Bristol record Society vol 36, 1984.  Usual format, 39+221pp inc index.   1848 saw the Port of Bristol transformed from a private company to municipal ownership - this at a time when it was the most expensive port in Britain.  The 39pp of prelims provide valuable background information and the bulk of the book consists of transcripts of the minutes of the Dock Committee meetings at which all sorts of matters were discussed, from improving dock facilities to frequent admonishings of pilots.   Very nice clean condition, VG.  (ref 6316)  14.00

Cheltenham Parish Church: Its Architecture and Its History
John Sawyer, 1903. 4to, 124pp followed by index, 22 plates + 2 not listed. Printed on shiny paper, pp clean, embossed paper on both boards rippled, boards very slightly bowed. G. (ref 2752)  25.00

[Cheltenham College] Newsletter of Former Students
An admirable venture, unfinished, of 6 teachers who were together at college in 1921/23. The newsletter itself commenced in 1930 and ended abruptly in 1932. None of the 6 are named, only nicknames are entered [Boxer of Belmont Park, Nigger (teaching in Cairo), Rusty of Cheriton nr Folkestone, Sparks of Kirkburton & Birmingham, Styx of Mitcham and Squibs of Milton Avenue, Sutton]. Thick covered exercise book, 40-odd pp of manuscript with occasional photos. (ref 0000) 5.00
post-free within UK

Cheltenham - A Pictorial History
Steven Blake, 1996.  4to, unpaginated but 180 evocative ills (mostly photos - some dating back to the mid-Victorian era) with captions.  Very nice clean condition, F though the cover's dented - the book's clearly been dropped.  However, an opportunity to acquire the book at less than 60% of the current in-print price of 13.99.  (ref 0000)  8.00

[Cheltenham documents]  Deeds to 10 and 11 Suffolk Square
A near-complete sequence of deeds and documents chronicling this pair of houses from 1835 (at which time they were described as 'recently erected') through to 1860.  Throughout this period the property was copyhold of the Manor of Cheltenham.  Deeds of 1835 bear schedules of earlier transactions implying Suffolk Square was named after the Earl and Countess of Suffolk who were involved in the 1820s.  A very useful collection showing persons involved in the earliest days of 10 and 11.  Altogether there are 18 parchment documents, 8 deeds and 10 copyhold documents though there is much near-duplication as documents were often drawn up separately for each house.   (ref 252/125)  125.00 post-free
Not for export

[Cheltenham documents]  Deeds to Copyhold Land in Bounces Lane
Two 1834 parchment documents relating to 'All that strip piece or parcel of land or ground situate lying and being in a certain common field called Coltham Field.....'.  The documents relate how James Wood had taken over the copyhold in 1793 following the death of his father Richard.  In fact the Wood family connection with the property went back to at least 1754 as shown on an accompanying abstract of title drawn up in 1834.  Altogether a useful Wood family group.  The 3 documents (ref 252/124)  28.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Chipping Sodbury deed]  Conveyance of Baptist Chapel
This 1883 deed records the setting up of  'all that messuage or dwellinghouse yard and outlet.....situate in High Street.....formerly in the occupation of Mary May and Robert Savory and now void.....' as a meeting house and sunday school.  A very important local history deed, signed by 15 local people effectively trustees, including Baptist Minister Rev Alfred Knight Davidson.  Manuscript on large parchment sheet.  (ref 103/11)  20.00
post-free  Not for export

Cirencester Quakers 1655-1973
Leslie Stephens, 1973.  4to in grey card covers with red lettering, 58pp inc index, 7 ills, mostly full-page.  Very nice clean copy, easily VG.  (ref 2299)  7.00

[Dymock document]  Further Mortgage of the Church, Rectory & Tithes
In 1793 Sir Henry Tempest of Tong (Yorkshire) borrowed 1300 (c80,000 in today's money) from Thomas Higgins of Eastnor (Herefordshire).  This 1794 further mortgage records Sir Henry borrowing a further 700.  This deed has had its seals and the major parts of the signatures of both parties cut away.  Moreover, only this top sheet survives from what was clearly a multi-sheet deed.  Sometimes signatures were cut away when debts were repaid, but this item bears all the hallmarks of the seal collector - such a shame after 200 years.  Nevertheless there's some historical detail to be gleaned from this surviving top sheet.  (ref 0000)  5.00 post-free 
Not for export

Dymock Down the Ages
Rev J E Gethin-Jones, 1966 2nd enlarged and updated ed.  162pp inc index followed by 32pp of ills (mostly photos), map eps.  Nice clean copy of this increasingly hard to find book, VG in worn & torn but about average condition d/w.  (ref 2635) 
25.00

Elkstone - Its Manors Church and Registers
Rev T S Tonkinson, 1919.  46pp, 8 photo-ills.  Boards quite sunned, corners worn but at least the contents are nice and clean, and it's a nice strong copy.   Despite the sunning its a better copy than others we've seen so VG.  (ref 2928)  18.00

[Gloucester]  3 Early 18th Century Property Deeds
In 1714 local saddle-tree maker Stephen Box bought a house outside the south gate of the city for 10.  With it came a three quarters of an acre cherry orchard.   The following year he mortgaged it for 20.  Subsequently it seems he pulled down and rebuilt the house, for in 1726 he sold for the equivalent of 23.75 a 'newly built' house and the cherry orchard.  The 1715 mortgage is on paper, the other two deeds are on parchment.  The group (ref 6933)  48.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Kingswood Hill]  Sale Poster
Printed poster for the 1894 sale at the Black Horse Inn of 3 houses:
1.  Clarence Villa, Black Horse Road, tenanted by Arthur Harold.
2.  The adjoining house Stanley Villa, then unoccupied.
3.  No 6 Martin Place, Soundwell Road, tenanted by Ishmael Payne.
Large poster [approx 20"x30"] quite grubby though in good condition apart from the obligatory dogears and old folds.  (ref 4894)  16.00 post-free within UK

Lullingworth, Painswick, Auction Particulars
For sale by auction....25th May, 1921. Large 4to size, 18pp + 8 photos on 4pp + multifolding large-scale (approx 1" to 200') map. Ex-lib, covers worn.  4.00 post-free within UK

[Minchinhampton documents]  Deeds to Cottages at Walls Quarry
A near-complete sequence of deeds ranging in dates from 1810 to 1835 for 'All that messuage cottage tenement or dwellinghouse situated standing and being at Wallsquar aforesaid heretofore in the possession of Nathanial Skirton afterwards of Samuel Holliday late of Zechariah Young but now of the said Edward Darke.....'.  Throughout this period the property was mortgaged;  Edward Darke is still involved in 1835.  6 parchment deeds (some multi-sheet).  (ref 252/122)  38.00 post-free
Not for export

[Minchinhampton documents]  Deeds to Cottages
An 1813 feoffment and an 1819 lease for possession, both of them concerning 'All those cottages tenements with the garden thereunto belonging situate lying and being.....near unto a place called Black Ditch having Minchinhampton Common on all sides and parts thereof.....'.  Both deeds bear the signature of Thomas Frankin, a Stroud clothier.  The 1819 lease would undoubtedly have been followed up by a release (ie sale) of the property, but this deed appears not to have survived.  These deeds are followed by an 1820 mortgage and an 1827 further charge.  The four parchment deeds  (ref 252/123)  28.00 post-free
Not for export

[Newent - researchers will be interested to know the Newent Local History Society has recently published 'Chapters in Newent's History' which is available from the Society at 16.95]

[Painswick/Uplands documents]  Deeds to House and Land in Slad Road
A small group of deeds to 'All that piece of land (formerly part of a close of ground called The Rack Hill or Rack Close).....containing about three quarters of an acre.....having the Stroud and Cheltenham Turnpike Road on the South side.....and also All that dwellinghouse with the stable and outbuildings.....'.  The deeds cover the period 1872 to 1901 , and whilst 4 of the 5 are to do with mortgages there's still useful detail to be gleaned, eg a change of parish boundaries resulted in the property - which had become known as Woodfield Cottage - being in the parish of Uplands rather than the parish of Painswick.  A conveyance of 1887 bears a location plan.  4 deeds on parchment, 1 on paper.  (ref 252/119)  25.00 post-free
Not for export

[Painswick documents]  Deeds to Cottages at Butts Green
These deeds, ranging in dates from 1815 to 1823, relate to a cottage occupied by Henry King and another cottage occupied by James King.  The cottages were auctioned at The Falcon Inn in 1823.  Three parchment deeds and a manuscript sale particular.  (ref 252/120)  30.00 post-free
Not for export

[Painswick documents]  Deeds to Kenns or Keens and The Moors
Dated on consecutive days in 1823 this pair of deeds consists of a lease for possession and the corresponding release of 'All that messuage tenement or dwelling house called Kenns otherwise Keens wherein one Clissold did formerly dwell and the garden and orchard thereunto adjoining.....And also all that close or meadow or pasture ground called The Moors adjoining to the said messuage and premises containing by estimation two acres more or less, having the brook running from Painswick down to Dudbridge on the North West side.....'.  The property was bought for 250 by local timber merchant Daniel Spring.  The release contains a schedule or earlier deeds going back to 1782, none of which appear to have survived.  The release (as folded) is grubby with age but a soft rubber will cure the worst of this.  (ref 252/121)  15.00 post-free
Not for export

[Rodborough documents]  Deeds to Property next to Rodborough Church
These deeds chronicle 'All that messuage tenement or dwellinghouse with the outbuildings garden shrubberies walks and appurtenances.....at a place called Walkley Hill.....and also all that piece or parcel of land.....part of lands now or lately called or known by the name of Payne's Orchard.....having Rodborough Church Yard on the West, the messuage and hereditaments before described on the East, the turnpike road leading from Dudbridge to Rodborough Butts on the South.....which said two closes of ground are now thrown open to each other and occupied as one close.....'.  In the period covered by these deeds [1800-1832] we see interest pass from Hathaway to Hogg (cottage) and Halliday to Hogg (Payne's Orchard).  In all there are 15 parchment deeds including leases for possession, releases, mortgages etc, all bearing signatures of the parties involved.  (ref 252/118)  85.00 post-free
Not for export

[Slimbridge]  Several Groups of Property Deeds as follows
3 deeds to a house called Wintles, and land called Marsh Leaze.  Covers the period 1786-1790.  (ref 28/48)  20.00 post-free
16 deeds relating to Kingston and The Tyning.  Covers the period 1754-1826.   (ref 28/49)  100.00 post-free
3 deeds to Narles Tyning (part of Slimbridge Field) which lay next to the Dursley-Cambridge road.  Covers the period 1797-1827.  (ref 28/50)   20.00 post-free

Most of the above are on parchment. 
Not for export

[Stroud]  Deeds for Cottages at Pagan Hill
An incomplete sequence of 5 deeds from an original 8 covering the period 1799-1836, for 'All that messuage tenement or dwelling house.....heretofore in the occupation of William Budding.....now in the occupation of James Bennett as tenant.....and also all those four cottages or tenements (formerly used as two cottages or tenements) heretofore in the several occupations of James Mayer and William Saunders but now of Joseph Sadler, William Harrison and Joseph Whiley.....and also all those two other cottages or tenements sometime since erected.....now in the occupation of William March and [blank] Chandler....  This parchment group (ref 28/54)  35.00 post-free
Not for export

[Stroud]  Deeds to Farm Hill House Estate, Pagan Hill
An incomplete sequence of 9 deeds from an original 14, covering the period 1777-1834, for 'All that capital messuage or mansion house commonly called or known by the name of Farm Hill House with the cottages, stables, coach house and other buildings....'.   Along with the house came several plots of land including the 6 acre Hill Ground; the 4 acre Horsepool Orchard; the 8 acre Almonds Croft; the 30 acre Rose Orchard; the 2 acre Farm Orchard, etc etc.  The earlier of the deeds seem to relate only to a house and land formerly know as Seamores, but latterly had become known as The Rose, and this indicates a piecemeal accumulation of lands that were destined to become the Farm Hill House estate.  All but 1 of this group of parchments deeds are 18th century.  The group (ref 28/56)  65.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Stroud]  Abstract of Title to Property at Pagan Hill
This undated but 1820s abstract gives details of property deeds going back to 1707 when William Toms took out a lease of 'All that messuage or tenement called Beards Tenement.....situate and being in Pakenhill....And also all that close of meadow called the Watery Lane Mead....[apparently this 2 acre plot of land went up Rimestone Hill].   In 1731 the property was the subject of a settlement made on the marriage of the owner (Edward Field - William Toms had only leased it) to Ann Plummer.  By 1735 the property had become known as Fields Place and on the death of Edward Field devolved to the Phelps family.  The property was to remain in that family until this abstract was drawn up in preparation for its sale to Thomas Ellary by John de la Field Phelps.   Manuscript on 7 folio paper sheets.  (ref 28/52)  18.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Stroud]  Deeds to 3 Cottages at The Bourn
A lease & release dated August 1811 followed by a very speedy lease & release less than a month later, and an 1824 mortgage of 'All those three messuages cottages or dwelling houses....at the Bourn in the parish of Stroud....and now in the several occupations of William Clutterbuck, John Whitfield and....Edward Herbert [who had bought the cottages for 55 in 1811].  The 5 parchment deeds (ref 28/53)  28.00 post-free  
Not for export

[Stroud documents]  Deeds to 3 Plots of Land (41 Acres)
These 1801 deeds concern a 29 acre area called The Coneygar, a 9 acre plot once called Lower Stroud Hill but by then called The Ten Acres, and a near-3 acre plot of land with the intriguing name of The Neckcloth Piece.  At the time all 3 plots were 'occupied' by Mary Lambourn - presumably a tenant farmer or smallholder.  The deeds consist of a lease for possession, the corresponding release, and a covenant regarding title deeds - an exceptionally useful document as it provides extracts from 24 earlier transactions stretching all the way back to 1725.  3 deeds in manuscript on parchment.  (ref 252/126)  25.00 post-free
Not for export

[Stroud/Uplands documents]  Deeds to Cottage in Slad Road
This pair of 1905 deeds (a conveyance and a mortgage) relate to a cottage on the North side of Slad Road called Woodfield Cottage, occupied by Charles Gould but sold by Henry Robert Beavis to Joseph William Bown.  Woodfield Cottage was apparently next to the Prince of Wales pub.  Manuscript on parchment, the conveyance bearing a small location plan..   (ref 252/127)  15.00 post-free
Not for export

[Stroud/Uplands documents]  Deeds to Cottages in Slad Road
This pair of 1903 deeds (a conveyance and a mortgage) relate to a row of 6 cottages on the North side of Slad Road, occupied by James French, Edward Paul, John Hutchings, Charles Philip Lowings and Walter Day, though they were all tenants to the owners HR Beavis up to 1903 and J W Bown thereafter.  The conveyance bears a useful location plan and a schedule of earlier transactions going back to 1872.  Manuscript on parchment.   (ref 252/128)  15.00 post-free
Not for export

[Stroud documents]  Deeds to Woodland at Whiteshill
An 1862 abstract of title provides details of deeds of 1851 and 1854, of which only the 1851 deed (a conveyance) appears to have survived.  This concerns a 14 acre plot of 'arable or tillage land part whereof is covered with plantation or coppice wood'.  The conveyance relates that the plot was originally 16 acres and had once belonged to John Haines, but he sold off 2 acres to his son Isaac.  In amongst the jumble of deeds from which we were able to marry up the abstract and the conveyance we found an 1800 lease for possession of 16 acres of woodland to John Haines and this must surely relate to the same property, so we've added it to the two much later documents.  The woodland, situated to the West of Kitesnest Farm, was at one time called Wyatt's Wood.  The three items (ref 252/130)  20.00 post-free
Not for export

[Stroud etc document]  Mortgage of Public Houses, Brewhouses, Cottages etc
This 1870 mortgage records the borrowing of 2000 on The Weavers Arms in Old Chapel Street or Meeting Street, The Bedford Arms (previously called The Crown and Anchor) in the High Street, The Lamb Inn, The Junction, a quarter share in The Kings Head, The Cross Hands in Sumner Street, The Phoenix, The Kings Arms, The Woodcutters Arms, The Railway Inn, The Bridge Inn at Dudbridge, The Wheatsheaf Inn at Bisley, The Ship Inn at Brimscombe, The Anchor at Kingsholme.  An important document from a historical point of view as the names of many present and former innkeepers are shown.  Manuscript on 4 large parchment sheets, the reverse of one of them endorsed to show the money was repaid in 1879.  (ref 252/129)  20.00 post-free
Not for export

Tewkesbury Churchwardens' Accounts 1563-1624
BGAS Gloucestershire Record Series vol 7, 1994. Large 8vo, 163pp inc 2 indexes. With precious little other contemporary records to consult, this transcript is very welcome. Still in print at 30, this F copy in F d/w (ref 8198)  18.00

[Westcote documents]  Valuation of Fixtures etc at the New Inn
Valuations made 1923/24.  30 gallons of cider was valued at 2/5/- and 100 Key West cigars 16/6d.  3 handwritten papers.  (ref 68/32)  12.50 UK post-free

St Michael's Church Withington
Rev D Austin Fisher, 1951 revised ed. 28pp pamphlet with paper covers, 6 photo ills.  1.00

[Various Parishes inc some in Wilts]  Scheduling of Lands by The Board of Agriculture
Official copy of an 1895 Order concerning 4930 acres of land owned by George Thomas John Sotheron Estcourt Esq of Estcourt House, Shipton Moyne.   Much of the land consisted of farms, and the schedule provides details such as name and acreage, together with tenants, eg the 399 acre Ivy House Farm, Shipton Moyne, is shown as being tenanted by Mrs Beavan.  This huge area was sprinkled amongst the parishes of Shipton Moyne and Tetbury in Gloucestershire, and Ashley and Long Newton in Wiltshire.  In all, some 23 tenants are specifically named.  Manuscript on large parchment sheet, though about 40% of it is occupied by a schedule of repayments projected over 25 years.  Bears the red embossed seal of the Land Loan and Enfranchisement Company together with the signature of it's secretary.  By all means check with us before you buy.  (ref 447/4)  18.00  post-free  Not for export     NB this is also listed on the Wiltshire page

The Gloucestershire Landscape 1577-1957 - An Exhibition arranged by the County Record Office in the Council Chamber, Shire Hall, Gloucester 17th-26th April 1958
Descriptive 8pp pamphlet in pale green card covers, quite nice condition.   (ref 252/107)  1.50 post-free within UK

Highways & Byways in Oxford and the Cotswolds
Herbert A Evans, 1916 rep. 407pp inc index, 72 ills from drawings made by Frederick L Griggs in preparation for the original 1906 ed, 4 maps. Described by the author as 'only a Summer excursion into the hill country the lies to the north and west [from Oxford] toward the broad vale of the Severn and Avon', this continues (as do all the Highways & Byways volumes) to be one of the basic standard works on the county. This copy ex-Marlborough College library, their stamp and label on front pastedown. Wear & tear consistent with age, so G. (ref 8270) 8.50

The Monumental Brasses of Gloucestershire
Cecil T Davis, 1969 facsimile rep of 1899.  230pp inc index, 152 ills.   Comprehensive descriptions of 82 surviving brasses.  VG copy but no d/w, top corner of fep cut away, price reduced accordingly. (ref 1193)  8.50

Marriage Allegations in the Diocese of Gloucester vol 2, 1681-1700
Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society (Records Section), 1970.  Familiar green cloth boards, xvi+272pp inc indexes.  G.  (ref 1144)  15.00

Jury List - Bristol Spring Assizes, undated but probably 1848
Printed list of the names and occupations of the 48 jurors summoned.   Size approx 6"x16".  Old folds but not bad considering age, 1847 watermark.  (ref 171/19)  12.00 post-free within UK

Jury List - Gloucestershire Spring Assizes, 1849
Printed list of the names, abodes and occupations of the 72 jurors summoned.   Paper,  size approx 5"x18", a bit crumpled, torn & with parts of the top & bottom margins missing.  (ref 171/18)  8.00 post-free within UK

Jury List - Gloucestershire Summer Assizes, 1851
Printed list of the names, abodes and occupations of the 120 jurors summoned.   Parchment, size approx 9"x16".  Old folds but not bad considering age.  (ref 171/16)  12.00 post-free within UK

Special Jury List - Gloucestershire Spring Assizes, 1861
Printed list of the names, abodes and occupations (mostly esquires) of the 48 jurors summoned.  Size approx 8"x13".  Old folds, lower third crumpled & quite badly torn.  (ref 171/15)  8.00 post-free within UK

Special Jury List - Gloucester Summer Assizes, 1859
Printed list of the names, abodes and occupations of the 48 special jurymen summoned.  Size approx 6"x13".  Many old folds.  (ref 171/14)   10.00 post-free within UK

Jury List - Gloucestershire Summer Assizes, 1859
Printed list of the names, abodes and occupations of the 80 jurors summoned.   Size approx 6"x19".  Old folds but not bad considering age.   (ref 171/12)  10.00 post-free within UK

Jury List - Gloucestershire Summer Assizes, 1871
Printed list of the names, addresses and occupations of the 48 jurors summoned.  Size approx 10"x14".  Old folds, rather ragged round the edges.  (ref 171/11)  8.00 post-free within UK