CHAPEL BOOKS

Chapel Cottage, Llanishen, Chepstow NP16 6QT

Email info@chapelbooks.co.uk

________________________________________________________________

CORNWALL

UK Customers please add postage @ 2.00 per book (4.00 maximum)
Overseas customers will be charged Surface or Airmail as requested

[St Aubyn documents]  Documents Scheduling Manors under the 1864 Land Improvement Act
These 7 documents, all apparently bearing the seals and signatures of Sir John St Aubyn of St Michael's Mount, Bart, MP, concern 11 manors, 10 of them in Cornwall, the whole amounting to 6311 acres pledged in some sort of mortgage arrangement with the Inclosure Commissioners for a sum borrowed specifically for [un-stated] improvements to his property, the sum to be repaid with interest in instalments over 25 years.  The documents record the original loan of 1877, an immediate assignment of the loan [and thus responsibility for the repayment] to others, an 1879 increase in the sum borrowed for improvements, an immediate assigning of the increased debt & proportionally increased instalments and subsequent similar documents dated 1879 and 1881.  All 7 documents include a schedule of the manors with acreages - these details don't change.  The 7 items all in manuscript on parchment.  (ref 70/14)  45.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Antony document]  Lease for Three Lives
This is the counterpart copy - signed by the lessee rather than the lessor - of a house and garden in Chapel Field, the plot situated between Wellington Street and Back Street.  The lessee in this 1836 lease - James Burd of Torpoint - seems to have been unmarried as the three lives were of the apparently unrelated Jone Cocks (aged 22), William Brock (21) and John Oliver (14).  Manuscript on large parchment sheet, signed James Burd, a nice clean strong document.  (ref 3712)  18.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Bodmin property deed]  Assignment of Lease
This 1827 indenture concerns a leasehold plot of land 'adjoining the turnpike road leading from the said Borough of Bodmin to Lostwithiel containing 5 acres or thereabouts'.  The indenture records the transfer of the lease from John Wills to Thomas Clarke - and in passing records the plot of land was sublet to mercer and draper John Parkyn.  Manuscript on paper, 3pp, signed by both parties.  Very much a Wills document.  (ref 3675)  15.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Bodmin]  Sale Poster - House in Market Street
Printed poster advertising the 1904 sale at the Royal Hotel of 'all that conveniently situated dwelling house and premises situaute on the West side of Market Street.....(near the Probate Registry) in the occupation of Mr W G Tickell.....'.   Size approx 20"x24", one or two holes where old folds cross, one or two small tears along old folds, old pin-holes in the top corners, creased and crumpled down the left-hand edge.  (ref 4916)  15.00 post-free within UK

A 2nd copy - this one has two or three small holes and is torn at the top - however on balance we'd say it is in better overall condition than 4916 above.  (ref 4906) 15.00 post-free within UK

[Breage] Postcard Photo of Church
1929 postcard, used, Helston postmark. A few small marks on the photo, the card is a little dogeared, probably G. (ref 188/354) 3.00 UK post-free

[Camborne/Perran-ar-Worthal/Illogan/St Glavius document]  Scheduling of Farms by the Inclosure Commissioners
Official copy of an 1874 Order affecting 7 farms with the total acreage shown as 891.  As well as showing the individual farm names, their acreages and tenant farmers are identified on the schedule - a useful document for both the local and family historian.  Size approx 21"x10", multifolded but would look good in a frame.  (ref 123/17)  15.00 post-free  Not for export

Channel Islands
Joseph E Morris, 1920 reprint. One in the 'Beautiful Britain' series published by A&C Black. 64pp inc index, 8 coloured ills as called for. Spine faded but G. 2.00

Manuscript Particulars of the Advowson of the Rectory of Falmouth in the County of Cornwall
Undated but approx 1870, 2pp manuscript, plus a duplicate of the main page.   Sets out very brief details of the income of the Rectory.  Grubby as folded.   (ref 408/160)  6.00 UK post-free

Flushing - see Mylor

[Illogan/Redruth and Camborne document]  Scheduling of Lands by the Inclosure Commissioners
Official copy of an 1879 Order affecting the 151 acre Great Nancekuke (Illogan) tenanted by Willy, Willoughby and Phillips; the 107 acre Foge alias Voge (Redruth) tenanted by Thomas, Richards, Richards, Paull, Laitz and Harris; and the 60 acre Reskajeage Downs (Camborne) owned and seemingly occupied by G L Basset Esq.   Manuscript on single parchment sheet approx 12" square, multifolded.   (ref 123/16)  12.00 post-free  Not for export

[Illogan documents]  Churchwardens' Accounts?
An interesting collection of bills and receipts concerning repairs to the parsonage house (a couple mention repairs to the church as well) inc thatching and glazing, all of them dated 1771, 1772 or 1773 and all to the Rev William Sandys.  Of note is an extra 8 shillings charged by John Harry for 'barn fitting and plaistring which was destroyed by the storm happend after this contract was made for the clerk's house'.   27 items in all, all relatively small items on paper.  The collection (ref 86/1)  55.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Illogan documents]  Papers Concerning Tithes, Rents etc
A useful local history collection of over 30 paper documents from the period 1773-1856 (of which 25 are pre-1785) comprising letters, tables, invoices, memos - many of them listing parishioners.   Perhaps the most significant item is a 1771 set of conditions arising from a survey of the Illogan glebe lands.   (ref 86/3)  50.00 post-free 
Not for export

[Marazion] The Chapels and Curates of Market Jew
T Reynolds, 1963. 82pp, 8 plate-ills. Marazion is one of the oldest towns in the country, yet it did not become a separate parish until 1892. VG clean copy in a grubby but G d/w. (ref 8013) 12.00

[Mawgan in Meneage and Camborne document]  Official Copy of Inclosure Commissioners Order under the 1864 Land Improvement Act
This contemporary copy of an 1878 Order contains a schedule of 628 acres comprising 4 blocks of land ranging in size from 100 to 150 acres owned by Gustavus Lambart Basset, all but 108 acres lying in the parish of Mawgan in Meneage.  The schedule is useful to local and family historians in that it names each of the blocks, names the tenants and shows the acreages.  If you're uncertain about buying, by all means contact us if you think your ancestor was one of the 4 tenants [James, Lyne, Williams, Read, Dale].  Manuscript on parchment, approx 17"x11".  (ref 70/29)  12.00 post-free 
Not for export

Morwenstowe Church
Philip Docton Martyn, 5th ed nd (but cost 2/-) booklet consisting of 16pp of text with 8pp of photo ills. Blue card covers, VG. 1.00 UK post-free

[Mylor document]  Copy of Board of Agriculture Order Under the 1864 Land Improvement Act
This contemporary copy of an 1894 Order contains a schedule of properties and lands in the Manor of Tregew and in the village of Flushing, both localities apparently within the parish of Mylor.  The schedule is particularly useful to both the local and family historian in that it names a couple of dozen properties [such as the Seven Stars Inn] together their tenants and acreages and names a further 10 or so tenants of un-named houses in Flushing.  In all the properties involve over 1000 acres, by far the largest being the 375 acre Barton of Trefusis [a farm?].  Manuscript on large parchment sheet [approx 25"x19"], nice and clean.  If you think one of your ancestors might appear on the list of tenants, do by all means check with us before you buy.  (ref 70/11)  20.00 post-free  Not for export

[Mylor document]  An earlier (1892) Order.   This is an official copy of an Order by the Board of Agriculture affecting the same properties.  Size approx 25"x19", multifolded but nice and clean.   We haven't checked but it probably lists the same 40-odd tenants/occupiers as 70/11 above - lots of Tongs in Flushing.  (ref 123/15)  20.00 post-free  Not for export

Padstow Past and Present
Deborah Goodwn, 1984. A5 formal in photo card covers, 42pp, 36 mainly photo ills. G. (ref 0000) 2.50 UK post-free

A Short History of Padstow
Rev B W Kinsmen, 1973. 6pp pamphlet, creased. (Ref 100/43) 1.00 UK post-free

[Pengelly near Delabole]  Sale Poster for 'The Haven'
Printed poster for the 1951 sale of the bungalow The Haven 'built of wood, lined and with asbestos roof.....' - apparently previously known as 'Rest Haven', the name change being made in biro on a label pasted over the printed word Rest.  Size approx 15"x20", unusually printed in blue, crumpled in places but the worst of this will flatten out if stored properly.  (ref 4923)  12.00 post-free within UK

[Redruth document]  17th Century Lease of Trerisse Close
In 1666 local merchant Anthony Cocke obtained a lease from Michael Hill [of Gwendowne] of a property 'commonly called and known by the name of Trerisse Close that is to say the moyety or halfen deale of three closes with the moyety or halfen deale of all howses gardens.....bounding with the tenement of Trerisse on the South Side and the town closes and gardens of Redruth on the North'.  The lease is for three lives, those of Anthony Cocke's son Joshua and Udy West and his sister Constance Harris.  Manuscript on parchment, approx 16"x8".  This is the counterpart copy of the lease, the part retained by the lessor, and it bears the clear signature Anthony Cocke.  (ref 113/1)  48.00 post-free  Not for export

[Redruth document]  Lease of Fairs and Markets
This is a 99-year lease granted in 1795 by James Buller to James Jenkin of 'All those the Markets to be held and kept in the aforesaid on Friday weekly and also all such fairs and markets held or kept in Redruth.....and also the dwelling house now in the occupation of Richard [illegible] a carpenters shop now held by John Brown.....'.  One condition of the lease was that James Jenkin would pull down part of the Market House in Fore Street and re-build 'upon the recess next thereto adjoining'.  A January 1801 endorsement on the back of the deed, signed by James Buller's steward Francis Paynter, certifies that the rebuilding work had been carried out.  A quite important piece of local history in manuscript on a single parchment sheet, approx 27"x17".  The ink is worn and faint in places, particularly along old folds.  We found some of the wording illegible, but a UV lamp ought to clear up most of the uncertainties.  Bears the bold signature James Buller.  (ref 113/3)  35.00  post-free  Not for export

[Redruth document]  Scheduling of Lands under the Land Improvement Act
This 1899 Order bearing the seal of the Lands Improvement Company contains a schedule of 4 un-named plots of land in the parish of Redruth.  The plots comprised an acre and a half of land in Albany Road occupied by Jane Bank, Samuel Head and others, three acres in Park Road occupied by Anne Davey, six and a half acres of land in Clinton Road occupied by S Wickett and others, and just under an acre of land in Mount Carebis Lane occupied by the Redruth Brewery Company.  Manuscript on large sheet of parchment, multifolded, nice clean condition.  (ref 70/27)   12.00 post-free  Not for export

[Redruth document]  Scheduling of Lands under the Land Improvement Act
This official copy of an 1896 Order by the Board of Agriculture contains a schedule of 40-odd plots of land including a quarry and a mine, all of it apparently in the Manor of Treruffe in the parish of Redruth.  A pity it wasn't thought important enough to name every plot of land or cottage comprising the 198 acres, but fortunately for the family historian it was thought important enough to name all 40-odd occupiers/tenants.  Manuscript on large sheet of parchment, multifolded, nice clean condition.  (ref 70/26)   20.00   post-free  Not for export

[Redruth and Mylor document]  Scheduling of the Tregew and Treruffe Estates [Redruth] and the Trefusis Estate [Mylor] by the Board of Agriculture
Official copy of an 1897 Order affecting land in Raymond Road, Adelaide Road, Albany Road and Upper Sparnon Road (all in Redruth) and the considerably larger Trefusis Estate (Mylor).  The schedule is very useful in that it lists 8 occupiers/tenants in Redruth and 10 in Mylor.  Manuscript on large (approx 21"x17") parchment sheet, multifolded but nice and clean.  (ref 123/12)  15.00 post-free  Not for export

A later (1898) copy Order affecting the same property.  On a larger (approx 24"x19") parchment sheet though this one contains a table showing repayment instalments for the next 25 years.   Multfolded.  Bears the embossed red seal of the Lands Improvement Company - detached but the embossing still shows on the parchment where the seal was originally placed.  (ref 123/14)  15.00 post-free  Not for export

[St Dominic documents]  3 Parchment Deeds concerning Ashland Green
An 1812 lease for 3 lives, its counterpart, and an 1827 assignment, all on parchment.  In 1812 William Giles was granted a lease in order to build a house on a plot of land in the 'North West corner of a close of land or meadow called Ashland Long Meadow near Ashland Green in the said Parish of Saint Dominick.'.  The lease was for 3 lives - the lessor aged 57, his wife Mary aged 57, and William the 2 year old son of Thomas Giles of Botus Fleming.  Both the lease and its counterpart bear the mark of William Giles and the signature of the lessor, William Pode of Westcott.  In 1827 William Giles signed over the residue of the lease to his nephew William Giles, still living at Botus Fleming.  The 3 documents (ref 51/109) 30.00 post-free 
Not for export

[St Ervan document] Counterpart lease of School House & Premises
This 7 year lease took effect from September 1917 at a rent of 1 a year. This is the counterpart to the lease, ie it is signed by the lessee (the County Council) rather than the lessor (The Archdeacon of Cornwall). Signed Henry D Foster and Christopher L Cowland and bearing the red Cornwall County Council seal. (ref Q025/15) 5.00 post-free   
Not for export

[St Germans document]  Official Copy of Board of Agriculture Order under the 1864 Land Improvement Act
This contemporary copy of an 1898 Order concerns 524 acres owned by Mrs Annabel Jemima Cocks.  The 524 acres is broken into 9 blocks, each identified by name, its acreage and occupier/tenant.  Manuscript on parchment, approx 25"x19".   Bears the official seal of the Lands Improvement Company.  (ref 70/23)  15.00 post-free 
Not for export

[St Just in Penwith/Morvah/Madron/Sancreed/Zennor document]  Scheduling of Property under the 1864 Land Improvement Act
This 1881 document, which bears the seal of the Inclosure Commissioners, contains a fairly detailed schedule of lands and properties totalling 1676 acres owned by Rear Admiral John Borlase.  The schedule is particularly useful to local and family historians in that properties and lands are listed together with their acreages, and names of tenants/occupiers [of which there are well over 100] are also included.  If you think one of your ancestors might appear on the list of tenants, do by all means check with us before you buy.  Manuscript on large parchment sheet approx 25"x21", some foxing but acceptable for age.  (ref 70/15)  25.00 post-free  Not for export

The Lost Church
Nd small booklet, 14pp. Blue paper covers. 0.50 UK post-free

[St Mary's/Tresco/St Martin's/St Agnes/Bryhee document]  Board of Agriculture Scheduling of Property under the Land Improvement Act
This 1890 document bears the seal of the Board of Agriculture.  It contains a schedule of lands belonging to Thomas Algernon Smith Dorrien-Smith amounting to 3600 acres, half of it on the Island of St Mary's including the pier quay and harbour.   The rest of the property consists of (un-named) farms and houses.  Manuscript on large parchment sheet, multifolded but very nice and clean.  (ref 70/24)  12.00   post-free  Not for export

A Similar document though it is for the purpose of raising a different amount and is dated several months after the one above.  (ref 70/25)  12.00   post-free  Not for export

Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society Report & Transactions 1880-81
Original blue paper covers enclosing pp1-76.  Articles include the Society's excursion to Chapel Karn Brea; Cornish antiquities viewed in the light of modern research;  the fungi of West Cornwall; the thysanura and coleoptera of the Land's End district; a sheaf of Cornish proverbs; Mounts Bay volunteers 1805-6 [this is a page-and-a-half article about the corps - not a list, although officers are named].   Top corner of front cover missing - nevertheless this is a very nice clean and unopened copy, VG.  (ref 2403)  5.00 UK post-free

Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society Report & Transactions 1881-82
Original blue paper covers enclosing pp77-185.  Articles include the Society's excursion to Pengersic Castle; the wild bees of the Land's End district; the genus euphrasia and its forms; the mosses of West Cornwall; the hepaticae of West Cornwall; on the bearing of Cornish names on the history of the county; M Sebollot's system as applied to Cornish folk-lore; the economy of the common squid; the oribatidae (acarina) of the Land's End district; the garden spider; ghosts and witchcraft; esculent seaweeds.  A very nice clean and unopened copy, easily F.  (ref 2404)  5.00
UK post-free

Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society Report & Transactions 1882-83
Original blue paper covers enclosing pp186-297.  Articles include the Society's excursion to Trencrom; the lichens of West Cornwall; notes on two of the common Brittle-Stars; old Cornish lamps; the aculeate hymenoptera of the Land's End district; Cornish words which have a history; additions to the fungi of West Cornwall; wild flowers at the end of the year; the lepidoptera of West Cornwall; Cornish proverbs; the teetch of fishes; the desmids and diatoms of West Cornwall.  A very nice clean and largely unopened copy, VG.  (ref 2405)  5.00 UK post-free

Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society Report & Transactions 1883-84
Original blue paper covers enclosing pp 298-442 followed by a title-page for those wishing to have bound the 4 parts comprising vol 1 of this New Series of Transactions covering the years 1880-1884, followed by an index to the 4 parts.   Articles include the Society's excursion to Zennor church; the marine algae of West Cornwall; the marine algae of East Cornwall; Corbubianamarine polyzoa of the Land's End district; influence of the fisheries exhibition on the fish supply; carn, marsh, wood and hedgerow - a botanical study; the sphagnums or bog mosses of West Cornwall; the mossists on the tramp;  on the mechanism of the jaws of snakes; nots on systematic botany; the land and fresh-water mollusca of West Cornwall; the torpedo or electric ray; a lichen supper.  A very nice clean and unopened copy, F.  (ref 2406)  5.00 UK post-free

Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society Report & Transactions 1884-85
Original blue paper covers enclosing pp1-110.  Articles include the Society's excursion to Sennen church; on the history of botany in West Cornwall; land tenure; the recent foraminifera of Mount's Bay; the hemiptera of the Land's End district; the folk-lore of the sea; the marine testaceous mollusca of Cornwall; our common dragon-flies; the lichens of East Cornwall; on a New Zealand fungus; note on the Cornish rainfall in 1883.  Very nice clean and unopened copy, VG.  (ref 2407)  5.00 UK post-free

Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society Report & Transactions 1885-86
Original green/blue paper covers enclosing pp111-211.  Articles include the Society's excursion to Sancreed church; fresh-water algae of the Land's End district; the cross of St Ia; on the cultivation of the fresh-water algae; Cornubiana; the birds of the Scilly Islands; some old letters; giano; on the historical value of local names in West Cornwall.  Very nice clean and unopened copy, VG.  (ref 2408)  5.00 UK post-free

Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society Report & Transactions 1886-87
Original green/blue paper covers enclosing pp 212-300.  Articles include the Society's excursion to St Erth church; some facts about the reproduction of seaweeds; Dartmoor; Corbubiana; notes on the lepidoptera of West Cornwall; a remarkable hailstorm; sea anemones.  Very nice clean and unopened copy, VG.  (ref 2409)  5.00 UK post-free

Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society Report & Transactions 1887-88
Original green/blue paper covers enclosing pp300-390 followed by a title-page for those wishing to have bound the 4 parts comprising vol 2 of this New Series of Transactions covering the years 1884-1888, followed by an index to the 4 parts.   Articles include the Society's Summer excursion to Gulval, Mousehole, St Ives, Paul and Germoe; Cornubiana; the mosses of East Cornwall; shaft and adits at Deadman's Grave, Sancreed; the supposed remains of Dolly Pentreath; notes on the echinodermata of Mount's Bay.  Very nice clean and unopened copy, and despite the sunned spine still a VG copy.  (ref 2410)  *5.00

Note:  we will discount for a multiple order from the above Penzance NHAS transactions.

[Pyder Hundred] Duplicate Land Tax Assessment for the Hundred of Pyder, 1787
A parish by parish list of assessors and collectors, the right-hand part containing the sums assessed is missing (cut off many years ago). Manuscript on single parchment sheet, now approx 10"x11", grubby. (ref 99/204)  12.00 post-free  
Not for export

The Isles of Scilly
Small booklet, nd but c1960s. 57pp inc 12pp of photographs, other pages of ads, folding map. 1.00 UK post-free

[Isles of Scilly] The Fortunate Islands
R L Bowley, 1964 5th. 132pp inc index, 14 ills (mostly full-page photos). VG in G repaired d/w. (ref 7041) 4.00

[Trerice]  Part of Mortgage Indenture
This final sheet is all that has survived from what was probably a 2-sheet mortgage indenture involving William Robinson and Jane Pennecke Robinson.  The actual date of the mortgage is unknown, but 1758 is mentioned and we assume the mortgage document dates from this year or very shortly afterwards.  The actual property being mortgaged would have been described in some detail in the missing part of the document - however this final sheet does at least give us a clue with the wording 'All those the said herein before mentioned and Rented premises in and called Trerice.......'.  The separation of pages is undoubtedly due to a collector/dealer who has not only split the document but also cut away the design in the top left-hand corner.  A very sorry parchment sheet which still has potential for the family historian in that it bears the signatures P Robinson and Wm Robinson.  (ref 51/113)  6.00 post-free 
Not for export

Legends of Cornwall
Sally Jones, 1980. 102pp, many plates & drawings. Card covers, G. 3.00 UK post-free

The Early Charters of Devon and Cornwall
H P R Finsberg, Dept of English Local History Occasional Papers No 2, 1953. 4to in buff card covers, 31pp. Very brief details of 99 pre-Domesday charters. Ex-Berkshire Record Office, their small triangular stamp on front cover. G. (ref 350/44) 4.00